Pressure tank location.

Users who are viewing this thread

ARKANSASOFFGRID

Reaction score
Building a off grid home in the hills outside Hot Springs AR. The well was drilled & tank installed before we purchased property, but the only suitable house site was about 200' horizontally away, only about 35' lift from top of well to top water fixture in home. Well is 300' dept with static water around 45' per driller. My question is would I benefit from moving the pressure tank to under home for better psi, or does the tank have to be near well ?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Go ahead and move the tank into the home if you want. It does not need to be near the well but you will need to move the pressure switch as well as it needs to be near the tank.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You don’t need to move the tank to get better pressure. You just need to make up for that 35’ extra lift to the house. 35’ is the same as 15 PSI. So instead of running your pressure switch at 40/60, try 55/75 and you will have much better pressure at the house.

ARKANSASOFFGRID

Reaction score
Still building house, but well pump is standard 220v, with pressure tank in 8'x8' pump house. Not sure is I'm gonna run house solar power out to existing pump, or install solar panels and 24v solar pump/controller/batteries in pump house. Open to all experienced ideas/theories.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have installed several solar pumps for off-grid applications. Since you've already got a 220V pump i guess you're going in that direction. I assume you will have a solar system at your house including panels, inverter, and battery system. Just be aware that a regular well pump pulls quite a surge when it starts, Franklin says that it is 6-8 times normal current if only for a milli-second so you have to have enough of an inverter to handle that.

I really like the Grundfos SQ Flex system for off-grid. It runs on 30-300 VDC or 90-230 VAC which makes it plug and play for either straight solar or regular AC. No special converter box or controller required except for the correct interface box. You can even power one with a small generator like a Honda EU2000i. If you are set on a AC pump look at the Grundfos SQ series which features a "soft start" that really helps with the start-up surge. It ramps the pump up slowly and doesn't pull as much current. I have also used the Lorentz solar pumps and have been pleased.

Keep this thread updated, I would like to know how everything works out for you and how much power your AC pump is pulling and how many panels etc. it requires.

Good luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks