Bathroom faucets shut-off valves - also Delta faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

Donald Allen

Reaction score
We are about to begin the remodeling of one of our bathrooms. Over the past few years, I have noticed an occasional black-colored water coming from each of our Delta traditional single-handle faucets (installed in 1991) in the double-sink vanity. Not only is water black-colored on occasion, but tiny pieces of what seems to be rubber particles also is outputted from the faucets. Initially, I thought it was the faucets themselves, but in checking, all is fine with the faucets. BTW... these are the old heavy thick-gauge chrome-plated cast brass faucets, not at all like the current Delta traditional Foundations Core-B faucets which are made in China. This black water and rubber particle anomaly only occurs on the hot water line, thus I thought it may be due to the hot water heater, but in checking, all other faucets in the house do not have this problem. Is it possible it could be a problem with the rubber washers in the wall-mounted shut-off valves? After the removal of the faucets, double-sink vanity, etc., I temporarily installed a 36" 3/8" compression line to each hot water shut-off, and sure enough, every so often black rubber-like material is caught in a catch container. I believe the shut-off valves are probably original, and the house was built in the early '70s.

Do you recommend replacement of the shut-off valves (soldered onto copper pipe), or are the rubber washers typically available for these old valves?

Secondly, since my experience with Delta faucets has been excellent, we are looking at their line as possible replacements during the remodeling. However, I have noticed a significant drop in build-quality. Does any company make an affordable full heavy cast-brass faucet these days, or is thin plated brass now the norm? I can't afford the European brands that cost upwards of $1,000 and higher, but certainly can afford to pay for a quality product in the $250 range per faucet.

Any input would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks,
Don

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "anti lead" laws pretty much preclude ANY manufacturer from making a "brass faucet", unless they use an expensive, hard to machine, alloy for it.

Reach4

Reaction score
City water or well?
Have you looked in the strainer for the kitchen sink?
Do you smell sulfur smell in your hot water at times, especially after you have been a while?

Donald Allen

Reaction score
I suspected that may be the case. Quite analogous to the RoHS compliance in electronics and solder.

Any thoughts on the black water and rubber particles anomaly... am I on the right track thinking it's the shut-off valves? And, if so, should they be replaced or would replacing the washer fix the problem. If replacement is the best option, I hope there are some decent quality shut-off valves available rather what I've seen in the Big Box stores. If it's replacement, I will be on the phone to a plumber soon!

Donald Allen

Reaction score
City water that is of excellent quality. Absolutely no sulfur smell or any discolorations in any sink strainer, including the two deep well sinks in the laundry room in the finished basement.

Asktom

Reaction score
Chicago Faucet, not fancy but solid. I prefer them with quaturn cartridges rather than ceramic. Any Delta with DST in the part number is junk, in my opinion.

Donald Allen

Reaction score
Thanks asktom! Although I prefer a single handle faucet, my wife wants two handle centersets in the bathroom remodel. Thus, it looks like the Chicago Faucet Model 797-ABCP might be a good choice. Certainly not fancy, but I like the fact that it's built here in the states and the quaturn valve (neat name for a quarter or 90 degree turn valve!) probably would last a long time in residential use. Thanks for referring me to Chicago... I never gave the company a thought - even though Des Plaines is only 130 miles north of here!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks