(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Galvanized supply line question

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Swart View Post
    I concur with the other advising total line replacement. If you elect to go with copper, you should know that copper joints underground must be brazed, not soldered. Many people chose PVC to replace their old lines, others like copper. I can understand with the distance you have to cover, cost will be a consideration. Also with that distance, it would be wise to consider a professional. They could do the job and your neighbor's yard would left in good condition. You really don't have too much choice about putting in a new line, patching old galvanized is not very wise. Might get you by for awhile, but eventually it will develop leaks.
    Would no mechanical joint be acceptable? I recall someone at a code official's office bewailing the given requirement that the 200-foot water supply to the house he was working on be one uninterrupted piece of copper, which he wasn't going to have an easy time obtaining. I suggested that a 200-foot length of poly be considered instead.

"I should use poly?!!" the guy exclaimed. I told him not really, but that it was code, and maybe the official would like the idea of rolls of copper connected with flare fittings a lot better than one uninterrupted segment of poly, so that the guy could have what he was looking for in the first place.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Copper can be soldered underground as long as it's not under concrete.
    Joints under concrete are silver soldered. Brazed.

200 feet? Maybe poly or PVC as an option.

I know our muni purveyors decades back would've gagged on the idea of a non-mechanical joint on a supply line, especially since the supply lines were almost always upstream of the meters. Put the meter in a pit by the curb, and it was another story, since house-supply leaks weren't on their dime.