squeeky floor under carpet

Users who are viewing this thread

dithom0037

Reaction score
I have several areas upstairs that creek when you walk on them. Is it possible to fix them without pulling away the carpet? I think they have stud finders for walls. Can't they also be used for floors? If so, you could use either a hammer or nail gun with a nail that has no head. It could go right through the carpet and not show. Is this a real stupid idea or one that might work?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some stud finders will work in that situation. You could try small head screws (sometimes called trim screws). These would likely go through the carpeting and not show. When doing this, be especially careful not to catch a thread in the carpet or you'll pull a chunk out!

I've seen one company that makes screws with break away heads for this purpose. If the subfloor is not very thick, they probably won't hold well. Check this out, it may work for you. http://www.squeaknomore.com/

It's much easier if you have access from below - a bunch of companies make brackets to pull the subfloor down to the studs.

Some finish nails toe-nailed might work, too but could be a little tricky. SOmebody got some other ideas?

Sulconst2

Reaction score
studs in the exterior walls should be directly over floor joists, soldiered. you should be able to find a wall stud either with your stud finder or one side of an outlet. then its 16" o.c. maybe a lond finish screw would work. that way you could feel it pulling down.

Rughead

Reaction score
Squeeky floor relief.

Sulconst2 is correct about the floor joists meeting wall studs. Once located simply use the "squeeknomore's" as instructed by them on/around the joist in the squeeky area and this'll do the trick. I've used them successfully on linoleum, carpet and plain ole hardwood floors. One or two hits on the joist will suffice and the rest will tighten-up the floorboards. Great product. Good luck. Cheers, Rug.

pkj

Reaction score
Rughead said:
Sulconst2 is correct about the floor joists meeting wall studs. Once located simply use the "squeeknomore's" as instructed by them on/around the joist in the squeeky area and this'll do the trick. I've used them successfully on linoleum, carpet and plain ole hardwood floors. One or two hits on the joist will suffice and the rest will tighten-up the floorboards. Great product. Good luck. Cheers, Rug.

where do you buy squeek no more?

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
Looks like you can buy them online at a couple places linked on their website.
It's a cool idea, my mom's house had a squeaky spot right in front of a closet so whenever you stood there is was a symphony. I got fed up and found the joist by hammering some 2 1/2" finish nails every 1" until I hit a joist (using your ear helps, have someone make the floor squeak while you put your ear near the floor...the squeaker is where a joist is.) Then I screwed in a wood screw right through the carpet. Couple days later you couldn't even see where the screws were.
But this squeaks no more looks like a pretty good idea. I asked them at Home Depot about it, of course they said "never heard of it" it's probably on the shelf somewhere.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The link says HD and Lowes, Ace Hardware...they even give the HD part number...give that to the people and they can tell you where it is in the store.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks