well pressure gauge

Users who are viewing this thread

sherr

Reaction score
how long does it take for the pressure gauge to go from 60 to 40.... starting at 60, I turn on the the kitchen faucet , my gauge takes 1 and 1/2 minutes to drop to 44-45 , then clicks on goes up to 62 or 63 then clicks and starts going down again... IS THAT NORMAL amount of time . seems like its quick. my old well pump and gauge was 37 to 62. I thought it was longer than 1.5 minutes too. can you help me?

Reach4

Reaction score
Depends. If you drew 4 gallons, that would correspond about a 15 gallon pressure tank. If your tank is 30 gallons, then it might benefit from topping off the air pressure (on empty tank) to 40 PSI). You could consider a bigger tank. How long does the pump run each time?

You could also consider a pressure switch with a wider range... maybe 35 to 65 or 30 to 60.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Can't you widen the range on the Square D switch? They still got that little spring adjustment alongside the main one?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Without knowing the GPM you faucet produces, and without knowing the size of the tank, we cannot say what is normal. You need to measure how many gallons of water you can draw from pump turn-off to pump turn-on. Then you compare that number with the specifications for your tank. That will give an indication whether there is a problem with the bladder or precharge.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
When I see a pressure switch with the bandwidth widened more than 20 PSI, as with the 35/65 setting, I know cycling on/off has been a problem and someone is trying to slow it down. Widening the pressure switch bandwidth or installing a larger tank only slows down the cycling somewhat. The pump will still cycle unless you open up enough water to use as much as the pump can produce, which is rarely practical.

Cycling every 45 seconds is not good, 1.5 minutes is not much better. A CSV would make the pump stay on for as long as the kitchen sink or anything else is running. A pump/motor only has so many cycles built into it. The sooner you use up those cycles the sooner you will need a new pump.

A kitchen sink usually only requires about 2 GPM, so you either have only about a 10 gallon size pressure tank, or the bladder is already busted. Bladders in tanks also break from the pump cycling on and off. This causes the bladder to bend back and forth with every cycle until the bladder breaks like bending a piece of wire until it breaks.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A bit of a digression, but if one has a CSV and a large tank, I suggest that the band actually be narrowed as much as the switch allows.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Pardon the throw-in, but how much trust is placed in the exact reading on a brand-new pressure gauge from the box? I've never tried any side-by-side comparison tests from a carton of gauges. Trust in gauge readings was a concern in olden days, when trying to eliminate cycling with sprinkler systems, with pressure tanks usually having 75 psi ratings.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
OK, I'll bite... I have two dial type gauges, an electronic pressure switch with pressure readout, and I can sample the air pressure on my tank. All four readings in my case are within 2 PSI.

sherr

Reaction score
hi, thanks for all the conversation....I am trying to figure out if I need to call my well/pump company . do I have a problem or not ? I had a new pump put in may. they also ''blew'' the well clean. and raised my well cap. and a new pressure switch. I hear it come on as it is in my closet off the kitchen. my well-x-troll water tank is out back under ground near the well. I don't know the tank size or model no. the tank is more than 20 yrs old. i'm really just wondering if my pump comes on too much. I could hardly hear my other pressure switch and this new one is loud , so maybe I just hear it now. how do I tell if something is wrong with the switch or the tank. when I don't use water it ''holds'' where it left off.

Reach4

Reaction score
hi, thanks for all the conversation....

Yeah, conversation... How much water (gallons) do you draw before the pump comes on?
How long does the pump run when it does come on if you stop drawing water?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
If you buy a $10 gauge, You get what you pay for.

+ or - 5 percent of full scale may be your margin of error.

A gauge centered at normally operating pressure will give better accuracy. Measuring 30 psi on a 120 psi gauge is hard if you expect it to be exact.

Placement of the Gauge DOES mater.

More info needs to be plugged into your formula.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
the 75 psi tanks were sometimes a bother when an old sprinkler system wouldn't stop cycling, even with the cut-off set above 60 psi. I'd try to change field components before I'd balance at a cut-off setting above 70 psi.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
If the tank is 20 years old I'd remove it and consider installing a Pside-kick under the counter. The Pside-kick includes a new 5 gallon tank, a new pressure switch, guage and other required components. http://constantpressurekits.com/products/pk1a. The Pside-kick will give you constant pressure, prevent the pump from cycling and you'll only hear a clicking of the pressure switch when it shuts off.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
If the tank is 20 years old I'd remove it and consider installing a Pside-kick under the counter.

Under the counter ?

How much wire is required for that ?

I guess not much if your pump is under the counter also.

I must have missed something.

sherr

Reaction score
I don't have a way to tell how many gallons my tank is....as it is in the ground. I have a pumptrol switch 20 40 psi , GB industrial . I just know if the gauge is on 60 when I turn on the kitchen faucet ....it takes 1 1/2 minutes to drop to 44 then the pumps comes on and shuts off at 62 ....keeps cycleing that way til I shut water off. to me it seems like that's too short of time. i cant tell how often it cycles when i shower, i live alone.....I guess ill call my well guy.

sherr

Reaction score
under the kitchen sink ?? .....i guess i could give up a different kitchen cabinet . i will go thru 5 gallons quickly wont i ?? also.... i am on a slab home no closet space unless it is removeable. so i can get at hot water heater, furnace washer/ dryer , softner and the utility box. that closet has no room.

sherr

Reaction score
and truth be told he water tank is from 1987.. !!!
how long does one last and how can you really tell it is shot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks