I need help with hydronic heating installation

Users who are viewing this thread

SAVROOM

Reaction score
I don't see a hydronic heating-specific forum here....am I overlooking it? I'm in the process of designing and installing a hydronic heating system in my home and have a number of technical questions.
Could someone point me to a forum dedicated to helping non-plumbing professionals with hydronic heating systems?

Thanks

Edit: adding a zone diagram....does this make sense to anyone that understands hydronic design?....appreciate any comments. I'm using Runtal radiators, a mix of wall and vertical style radiators.

Attachments

• zone diagram013.jpg
    zone diagram013.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 655
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most of us would probably use a single pipe MonoFlo system, but the two pipes system MAY work better when most of the valves are closed. It is just more expensive to do it that way.

SAVROOM

Reaction score
Most of us would probably use a single pipe MonoFlo system, but the two pipes system MAY work better when most of the valves are closed. It is just more expensive to do it that way.

I was told by the Runtal rep that in a mono-flo system the water is cooler by the time it get's to the last radiator...which makes sense to me since each succeeding radiator is draining heat from the water. He said the parallel piping will ensure a consistently heated water supply to all radiators simultaneously....and looking at the design I believe he is correct.

He said that mono-flo systems are preferred by some installers because they're cheaper and easier to install but not necessarily best for the customer.
Also, I don't understand the statement "two pipes system MAY work better when most of the valves are closed". Please clarify why you believe this to be true....to me that makes no sense.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your diagram is the preferred method for piping radiators, convectors and flat panel radiators. It gives the least temperature variation and the least pressure drop across the system. It may or may not be slightly more expensive due to the extra piping needed but, monoflow tee's are pretty pricey and I suspect that the cost difference is minimal. I have a similar arrangement in my own home using 5/8" heat pex so the cost of the piping is negligable. If you are hooking everything up to a Mod-Con boiler you will need either a differential bypass or a tempering valve on the return side to keep the return temperatures in the condensing range. If its a standard, non-condensing boiler you will need to bleed some feed water back into the return to keep it from condensing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks