(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: shut off tank when on vacation

Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    Caduceus, methinks you are a bit too sensitive. You have only 20 posts here at this point in time. Your concern (of getting sick)is genuine, but Don is the furthest guy here from being arrogant. Don and arrogance do not fit together. You seem to show some hubris. I mean this only in the nicest way. First, do no harm.
    I will admit that the first comments from Don and ImOld did get under my skin. Not because of an injury to my pride, I felt that a sarcastic reply to to the original poster was insulting to both of us. I'm in other forums where fun sarcasm is kept in other appropriate threads unless the OP initiates it. Those who know me personally and on the web would also agree that "hubris" is not fitting of my mold as much as arrogance may not fit for Don's. I appreciate your opinion, maybe quiet introspective time can find its way into my schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    I'm glad that it works for you, JR, but if somebody asks for advice on a forum I will always give the safest advice. There is no reason for anybody to undermine the smart action to a problem just because it is different than their own as seen above. How many people in this thread have had to go into a persons house and actually be responsible for the safety of the water system and be held accountable for the outcome if something goes wrong? It's easy to give a careless answer when somebody else has to suffer the consequences.
    My understanding is that legionella dies in 32 minutes at 140 dF. If that is so I don't see much risk turning of my water heater when gone for days. After returning the water heats up pretty quickly and water is sanitized rather quickly

I turn the water off when leaving because three times I've returned to a flooded home. Once from a failed plastic water supply line to a refrigerator, once due to a slab leak and once due to a failed water heater.

I'm not comfortable leaving the home with the water main on when gone more than overnight. I also would not feel comfortable turning the water main off and leaving the water heater on. A failed tank could cause the heating elements to melt down.

It's all about risk.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Actual measurements indicate the contrary, especially in temperate or warmer climates. See the graph logging flue temps and hot/cold water temps in the middle of Tom Murphy's blog discussion:

http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/...ghts-are-evil/

OK so this guy isn't a rocket scientist, he's an astrophysicist, but his hands-on lab measurements are no worse than the average HVAC pro. ;-)
    Fascinating read. Until now I had never seen anything that confirmed my finding that pilot alone kept my ordinary gas HWH at normal setpoint temperature for weeks on end so I could take a long hot shower without turning on the control. ALL I ever have heard is pilot flame is 100% wasted energy. I guess not entirely.

That's not to say i believe old pilot-flame appliances are energy smart. Overall I would rather have a spark ignition, especially on my gas-fired boiler which has a pilot flame that is huge--an actual "roaring" flame.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana
    I'm more curious to know what temp your tank is averaging when you're away and running on pilot-only. A small amount of legionella introduced before you turned it down and head off takes awhile to die off even at 140F.
    I'm on a well so my curiosity about legionella is academic.
    Romeo and Atlanta, MI

Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    You mean like Lactobacillus Don. Good for the gut if they survive the trip. Not the legionnaires disease mentioned.
    You seem to think that Don said microorganisms.

Quote Originally Posted by Reach4 View Post
    You seem to think that Don said microorganisms.

I think Bob got my post and Caduceus took it as sarcasm.

If people take my post as BS, then so be it.

That does not make everyone that is posting wrong.

There is always someone just a smart or smarter than You.

I am glad that I am not a worrywart.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    I think Bob got my post and Caduceus took it as sarcasm.

If people take my post as BS, then so be it.

That does not make everyone that is posting wrong.

There is always someone just a smart or smarter than You.

I am glad that I am not a worrywart.
    But Don, I really am somewhat of a "germophobe". I would NEVER drink water or wash food from the warm/hot water faucet. I keep the water heater set higher than 145 degrees as I remember. We have public chlorinated water, but when it sits in the water heater, dissipates the chlorine, and then sits in the pipes, I consider it unsanitary water.

I'm not anywhere near as bad as detective Monk, but when dirty water like from my pond, (when I clean it) splashes on me, my bowels start quivering. I never said I was normal, did I? Who is these days?
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator