Toilet Leak Issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr. JL

Reaction score
Hi, not going to lie. I just signed up because when I looked up toilet leak problems this site came up and I *THINK* this place just saved my sanity and my relationship with the fiancé.

Anyways, we moved into a new apartment in a 100 year old house and for weeks our toilet has had a slow leak that has been going off every 5 minutes! Our landlord was here twice and unable to solve the problem. It being my first place not in my mommy's home, I of course know jack crap about toilets (until this problem started, now I am quite aware of the basics). After replacing the flapper on my own the landlord came and replaced it with another, to no luck, and then he disassembled the toilet and replaced the overfill tube/flapper then left. Anyways we left thinking all was well and when we returned home the first thing I hear it the darn toilet running on its own again. So contact the landlords again and they can't come until Tuesday.

So, already Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven MAD I started looking up everything and came across fill tube shoved to far down overfill tube and siphoning water into bowl. Sure enough, I run to the toilet, lift the lid and the overfill tube is stuffed down the thing so far. So, I pulled the tube up near to the top and it has been 20 minutes since and I have not heard a damn thing. 20 minutes of glorious peace!!

Anyways, the tube is rather long and when I try to put the lid back on the toilet it pushes the tube back down the cylinder hole... so I was wondering if I can just cut the thing to the size I need it to be because it is too long. Pretty sure I can, but I thought I would check. But from the bottom of my heart... Thank you website forum.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes. You can cut to fit the fill tube. Good detective work!
Normally those kits have a clip to hold the fill tube in place.

fm_fillvalve_siphon.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If yours does not have a clip to hold it, it might move slightly, then the bowl won't be filled properly and the silly thing won't flush right. FWIW, many newer fill valves have anti-siphon valves in them, but that doesn't mean they always work right or in this situation! Ideally, you'd have something to hold it in place above the top of the overflow tube.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
FWIW, many newer fill valves have anti-siphon valves in them,

I think that's a different siphon. We're talking about the siphon down the overflow tube siphoning water out of the tank and down the drain. I think the (code-required) "antisiphon" valves (like the Fluidmaster, Korky, etc.) work to prevent a siphon back into the water supply in the event that you drain the house water system -- i.e. no siphon from the tank into your fresh water system.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
fm_fillvalve_siphon.jpg

These are Fluidmaster instructions.
The Fluidmaster 400 will siphon the tank if the fill tube is too far down the overflow tube.

But like wjcandee mentions, not into the water supply of the home. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks