New to wells and already want my own rig...

Users who are viewing this thread

JaysBeans

Reaction score
First off my name is Jay and I am residing in central florida near the coast. I have been reading up on wells here and other places for a few days and I am very impressed with the caliber of people who post here, both in your knowledge and willingness to help the do it yourselfer. I am a eager 29 yr old trying to learn everything I can especially things pertaining to off grid sustainability. I have been enamored with the idea of providing fresh water to those that need it and now I am one of those people. I have been looking at the idea of hand digging w a vaccum or water pressure as far as possible and then pushing a 2" drive point as far as possible while checking for the static level consistently. Then I called a local well guy who told me Id likely need to go around 100 ft after punching through some limestone to get any good flow. Not gonna hand dig and push my way through that.

On to the reason for this thread, I am passionate about learning to do everything and buying the equipment to use that skill later in life. I see no reason not to take on water well drilling, especially with all the help available if you just ask. I have found a local selling a drilling rig mounted on a trailer for around 5k and I am going to take a look at it tomorrow. Since I realize how valuable all of your time is, Im not asking anyone to go with me, rather take a gander at some pictures and let me know if this rig will do what I need it to. As stated earlier I need to go at least 100 ft and multiple layers of limestone and was told this rig w mud pump was capable of going to 200. Are these numbers realistic and easily obtainable with the following setup or am I aiming a little too high?

6.5 HP, 2" dia mudpump and 6"carbide drill bit, not much other info to offer other than the pictures. And again thank you for any help and knowledge you guys can share.

Also wanted to know if there are any books anyone would recomend, or possibly courses I could attend in the central florida area upto gainesville.

welldrill.jpgwelldrill1.jpgwelldrill2.jpgwelldrill3.jpgwelldrill4.jpg

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Do you realize that you need a license to drill wells. It also requires a permit.

John

JaysBeans

Reaction score
I do realize both of those things. However this being a diy forum and after reading several threads with people hand digging/drilling and developing their wells without permits or licences I thought this would be a good community to ask as I know all of this activity is bordering on if not completely illegal. None of the other posters were shot down for not pulling a permit or is it because I am wanting to use an actual drill rather than going by hand? And regardless of the legality of it all, will this rig actually perform well in central floridas conditions?

Sincerely, Jay

JohnjH2o1

Reaction score
Most of the DIY's are working on there own homes. There not looking to do it for profit. I'm not trying to shoot you down. I think your putting the cart before the horse. You need to be licensed before you start drilling wells. But if you want to lay out the funds on a well drilling rig before seeing what it take to get a license then do it.

John

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
In most states you can still drill your own well as long as you do it up to code. It is when you hire out to drill for others that you need a license. Yes that rig will probably drill a 6” hole to 200’. But anybody can drill a hole in the dirt. Knowing where and how to install the casing, size and number of perforations, how to properly cement, developing the well, and sealing the wellhead that takes experience to know how to do. This is why most drillers must have a couple of years in apprenticeship with a licensed driller.

PM Porky on this sight for a class on drilling. But a few days in drilling class doesn’t make anyone an expert. It is the years of experience that makes a good driller. Everyday you will have a different problem, and learn new techniques on your own to solve those problems. Then after a few years of this the driller could teach the teachers a few things.

The drill rig will be a red flag to any licensed driller who drives by to call you in to the authorities. So make sure you are doing it legally.

Driving a shallow well doesn’t concern most people because surface water is not considered safe to start with. But when you go deep through several strata and zones, there is a possibility of contaminating the aquifer for everyone in the vicinity. Fines for doing that can be very steep, so you want to make sure you don’t cause contamination.

But if you are willing to take the time to learn how to do it right, I say go for it, and good luck. Drilling can be very rewarding when you get a well completed correctly and clean water is flowing.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
In this day and age, society being so litiginous, and with deaths related to well contamination, make sure you are 100% licensed and insured. I don't see well drilling as get-rich-quick easy money. To end up with a million bucks, start out with five million.

JaysBeans

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the comments and concern in this undertaking, I really do understand whats at stake here. I am a native floridian that has a lot of respect for our aquifer system, especially since I swim and scuba into caves here regularly. In no way do I want to harm my and everyone elses water supply. Learning to do this safely and by local code is of extreme importance to me and I have the time to do it. That said, Im not into paying the state in the form of a permit to put in a well on my property. Im also not trying to do this for profit, but rather for my own savings and satisfaction and the ability to help out a friend or neighbor in a similar situation. We are also living out in the country where everyone has acreage so a local well guy driving by and seeing us is not a big concern. Thank you for the idea to contact Porky, will do. Any other suggestions for books and schooling? Or any critiques or concerns on the rig itself or any questions I should be asking specifically?

Jay

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
LL said it best. “If you want to make a million in the drilling business, start out with five.”

I have seen people spend 10 times as much as they could have hired the job done. Just depends on what the experience is worth to you.

Also loaning a rig to a neighbor or friend will still make you responsible for the well.

freddie1234

Reaction score
Wow, I think not only the horse before the cart, the whole farm! I am a licensed contractor in multiple States ( not for wells). I do know that to proceed without a license is financial suicide. The liability is tremendous. It doesn't matter if you are going to help a neighbor, relative or friend. Things often go bad and maybe due to no fault of your own. My advice is if this is what you want to do for a living or even for a supplemental income, get some experience and training. In others words go work for a driller, even if you do it for cheap. I don't know about Florida, but most States Contractors boards require several years experience prior to even applying for a license. You will need at least an LLC, for protection, Some cash, Good equipment,etc.
Certainly do not want to discourage you but you can always find a Rig when the time is right. Don't know how deep average well needs to be in your area, but if you are going to invest in equipment, try to get a rig that will do most of the wells in your area. Oh yes, did I mention you will need a helper.
Valveman is right about the millions. I know a driller that says well drilling made me a millionaire, I used to be a multi millionaire!! good luck

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
several things are required for licensing but minimum 2 yrs drilling experience is key. forget that suitcase rig, just ride northeast a little and i'll give you a 2 yr internship.. as a courtesy from one eager 29yr old to another. tons of work, nothing ever breaks, holes always stay open, and casing bounces of the bottom of the hole every time. you'll be filthy rich before you know it... or at least filthy.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
several things are required for licensing but minimum 2 yrs drilling experience is key. forget that suitcase rig, just ride northeast a little and i'll give you a 2 yr internship.. as a courtesy from one eager 29yr old to another. tons of work, nothing ever breaks, holes always stay open, and casing bounces of the bottom of the hole every time. you'll be filthy rich before you know it... or at least filthy.

ROFL, side hurts, can't get my breath. Always good to start the day with a laugh. Thanks!!

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Everyone is right. . . you'll need a Florida Well Drilling license and a dependable machine. I teach well drilling however you would have to work for a licensed driller for a time to even qualify to take the examination.
I do occasionally have equipment for sale but $5000.00 won't buy much of a machine. I have a rebuilt DeepRock DR-200/20 rig for sale in NC, however $5000 won't touch it. More like $25K.2013-09-20 17.40.07.jpg

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
My father used to say this about drilling

Anyone can get into trouble, getting out of trouble is what counts

JohnjH2o1

Reaction score
This is very true. I have heard his father say that after we gave him some old cast iron pipe to straighten a well that started going off line on him.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks