Can I replace 2 separate wye's on the stack with 1 double wye fitting on the stack?

Users who are viewing this thread

d1yguy

Reaction score
Hi,

I am prepping to install a "power pipe" for drain water heat recovery. To get the longest (most efficient) power pipe, I would like to put a double-y fitting on my stack in place of the higher single-wye fitting, and then connect both 2" drains to that higher fitting, giving me about an extra 10". Here's a pic of the existing situation (sorry the pic is sideways - the 3" copper pipe with the 2 wye fittings on it is vertical):

DSCN8392.jpg

Anyone know if this is permitted by code? Is a double-wye the best option? If I do use some double fitting, do I need to worry about changing the height of the 2" abs connection to the stack? - I mean if it connects to the stack at a higher point, any chance I could run into problems with the fixture?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Since it's been connected with wye's, there's no reason that a double wye wouldn't also serve the same purpose.
Show us pictures with the power pipe in place. I'm thinking of adding one on my place too.

d1yguy

Reaction score
Reply 1

Since it's been connected with wye's, there's no reason that a double wye wouldn't also serve the same purpose.
Show us pictures with the power pipe in place. I'm thinking of adding one on my place too.

OK, so if I am safe with the double-wye in place of the higher single-wye (in my pic), then I am thinking to cut the 3" copper pipe on the horizontal run - before the 90-elbow and attach PVC with a 90 elbow, a double-wye. Then I'd attach the top of the 3" power-pipe to the small vertical part of the PVC, and the bottom of the power-pipe to copper that's left after I cut. That way I avoid having to solder a bunch of 3" copper, which would take me a while, since I don't do it every day. Any possible problems with this plan? Can someone tell me the most reliable connectors for the PVC-copper connections?

Thanks again,

Matt

p.s. I'll post the pic of the power pipe when I'm done. It's going to take me a few weeks, though, until I can do the install. Just doing my research now so I order the right length of power-pipe.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Mission makes a copper by PVC coupling. That's like the one on the right.

mission_bandseal.jpg

You can always replace copper with PVC for home use.
Copper can wear out anyway. I've had to replace sink lines and toilet bends done in copper for that reason.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks