Unusual, to me anyway, ferrule for a compression fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My neighbor called me and said he was having trouble getting the water line back onto his frig. The old (copper) line broke at the clamp on the back when he pulled it out to vacuum (work hardened from vibration over the years?), and the old fitting had been over tightened. It was easier to buy a new nut and ferrule than a puller. Anyway, what I found when I got there was that the ferrule was not the typical rounded over, symmetrical shape, but was square on one end with a machined collar designed to snug into the nut...IOW, it was directional, and he had it in backwards! The square shoulder and ridge wouldn't go into the fitting and allow you to engage the threads. This is a good thing, since if it had, it would have deformed the silly solenoid valve, and created much bigger problems.

All I had to do was turn the ferrule around, and snug things up to get him back in operation.

My question is, has anyone else run into this? All of the ferrules (and nuts) I've ever run into were symmetrical, and there was no in or out directionality to them. The opening in the nut supplied with this ferrule was larger to account for the square shoulder to project into it.

So, be forewarned...some compression ferrules are now coming out that are directional...can't do it in your sleep anymore - you have to actually look (or feel, I suppose)!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They are usually the "one type fits all" fittings from Home Depot, and the ferrule is usually "attached to the nut" so it cannot be inverted. The plastic ferrules are also made that way.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I didn't ask where he bought it, but it definitely was not attached to the nut and was made of brass.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks