Little Giant versus J-Series subemersible water well pumps

Users who are viewing this thread

michla

Reaction score
They do have better safety system to keep them from running hot, but they are not made to cycle continuous.

It is best to buy a pump with a good warranty, and hope the company is around to honer it, when it breaks.

Have Fun.

Except when the plumbing breaks (sweated joint failure)--and noone home. Ugly stuff

Speaking of which, is there something on the market that detects a plumbing disaster and shuts off the pump automatically ?

michla

Reaction score
Along the same topic, what is the life expectancy of a pump control box ? My Franklin control box is working fine, but the whole system was installed in 1984. When I spoke to Franklin Motors over the phone, the tech told me it's ok to reuse if it's working ok since it matches exactly with the new pump I'm going to install. But I'm wondering if a large capacitor that's been in service like that is worth trusting. Anyone?

michla

Reaction score

I'm using Avast anti-virus and a defender window popped up saying "Dangerous Trojan Horse blocked". Not all anti-virus or malware programs will catch an embedded virus and not every virus will manifest itself to be detectible in online virus blocking programs. But a Trojan Horse is exactly that--it can pop up as problematic on your software at any time down the road and isn't initially seen as being a virus. A Trojan Horse for sure.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually, a pump that runs continuously like if your plumbing fails, will run cooler than one that short cycles.

As for Faradyne motors being better than Franklin or vise versa, we pulled a Goulds with a Faradyne motor yesterday that has about 1/32 hole burned through the case a few inches below where the motor lead is. I suspect the damage was due to short cycling because the diaphram in the tank failed.

I have seen Franklin motors with holes burned into them due to lightning, but can't remember seeing one with a hole due to short cycling.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Not much faith in Franklin anymore, huh? :rolleyes:

NO. Not much faith in any of them anymore. Everybody has to make a pump/motor as cheaply as the next company in order to compete on price. My point is they are all made cheaply. So it is even more important than ever to limit the cycling to make the cheap pumps/motors last as long as possible.

michla

Reaction score
My point is they are all made cheaply. So it is even more important than ever to limit the cycling to make the cheap pumps/motors last as long as possible.

Good advice. So watering the lawn is out !
You'd think at least something that's going to be buried would last a decent time considering how much expense and inconvienence it costs to correct it.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You don't have to stop watering the lawn. You only need to match the draw so that it doesn't cycle.

As for buried, I think it is against code to bury wells anymore. It should stub out above ground.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Along the same topic, what is the life expectancy of a pump control box ? My Franklin control box is working fine, but the whole system was installed in 1984. When I spoke to Franklin Motors over the phone, the tech told me it's ok to reuse if it's working ok since it matches exactly with the new pump I'm going to install. But I'm wondering if a large capacitor that's been in service like that is worth trusting. Anyone?

It would not hurt to have a new cap on hand. Capacitors do not last forever.

If it is a metal case then it may be oil filled for one that old, and they last a long time, as long as they don't rust thru.

If a cap leaks or is bulged, then it is time to replace it. When they dry out inside they will normally open.

Good Luck.

michla

Reaction score
You don't have to stop watering the lawn. You only need to match the draw so that it doesn't cycle.

As for buried, I think it is against code to bury wells anymore. It should stub out above ground.

Oh, sorry--I didn't really mean buried....yes there is a 2 feet stub, I was implying something so expensive to service.
I have a fairly small water tank so cycling would be an issue trying to water the grass in summer.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
I remember a client who had three or four huge conventional galvanized tanks in a separate room, presumably so a sprinkler system wouldn't short-cycle the pump. They were so big that they would never fit through a door, so they must have been put in place as the house was built.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I have seen several applications where the building was constructed over a huge pressure tank or two. We just disconnected the big tank, installed a CSV (Cycle Stop Valve) and a little bladder pressure tank at the end of the huge tank(s). Now there is plenty of space to put in a bedroom or at least a tool shed. But somebody is going to need to torch that old tank into small enough pieces to get it out the door first.

We even have small cities where the water tower has been replaced with a CSV and a little 80 gallon size tank. But removing the old water tower, especially because it is covered in old leaded paint, would cost so much they just leave the water tower standing as a place for some kid to spray paint a defense to his sister’s honor.

Here is a graphic to show the CSV system compared to the old pressure tank system. Notice that the pump with the CSV runs continuously no matter what or how much water is turned on while the old style system cycles on and off repeatedly. Cycling on/off is the biggest killer of pumps/motors.

http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/simple/home.php

michla

Reaction score
Cycling on/off is the biggest killer of pumps/motors.

So I suppose the only big disadvantage of the CSV setup is when the power goes out--no residual water storage. And with the power on, a pump running continously is going to consume more electricity.
So which becomes a more expensive investment over say the (modern version) 15 year life of the pump ?

It would appear the pressure tank in the CSV setup is only an air bladder that amplifies water pressure. Why not do away with a tank altogether and then install an overrated submersible pump that runs the moment a set residual line pressure drops? There's plenty of water-hammer arrestors out there.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks