(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Little Giant versus J-Series subemersible water well pumps

I wonder if the Pentair acquisition of Sta-Rite was any help in the development of the new pump motor. They would've had their European companies to maybe draw on, too, since I imagine Europe has been able to pump water out of wells without the use of Franklin motors.

Quote Originally Posted by michla View Post
    Playing the devils advocate here---could it be the motors weigh half as much and are shorter due to the advance of a lighter materials and more efficient design ?

A AC motor can only be made so small and still work at 60HZ. PWM motors are a different story.

You need to use smaller wire, but length is important for the operating frequency. Less copper is lighter also.

You also have to dissipate the heat, and a smaller motor has less Mass/Surface to dissipate the heat it makes.

They do have better safety system to keep them from running hot, but they are not made to cycle continuous.

It is best to buy a pump with a good warranty, and hope the company is around to honer it, when it breaks.

Have Fun.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Searching around I found a different view on the Franklin Electric /Gould etc skirmish. http://justicewater.com/articles/baad-pumps

I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if Goulds and Pentair didn’t push Franklin into doing what they did. You know what happens when elephants fight? The grass (that’s us) gets trampled.

But Franklin had been buying out other motor manufacturers since the late 70’s that I can remember. Always seemed like the old motor company just disappeared, and Franklins motor just got shorter and lighter. Probably not even anybody left at Franklin that remembers that far back. So they did have a lock on the sub motor industry until the fallout with Goulds and Pentair. Now I think they are all out to sell the cheapest pumps/motors they can through as many retailers as they can.

I saw there was a lawsuit filed by Jaccuzzi against Franklin, post-acquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by Reach4 View Post
    Searching around I found a different view on the Franklin Electric /Gould etc skirmish. http://justicewater.com/articles/baad-pumps
    That link has a TROJAN HORSE virus !
    Good thing my malware blocked it.

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post

They do have better safety system to keep them from running hot, but they are not made to cycle continuous.

It is best to buy a pump with a good warranty, and hope the company is around to honer it, when it breaks.

Have Fun.
    Except when the plumbing breaks (sweated joint failure)--and noone home. Ugly stuff

Speaking of which, is there something on the market that detects a plumbing disaster and shuts off the pump automatically ?

Quote Originally Posted by valveman View Post
    Now I think they are all out to sell the cheapest pumps/motors they can through as many retailers as they can.
    Not much faith in Franklin anymore, huh?

Along the same topic, what is the life expectancy of a pump control box ? My Franklin control box is working fine, but the whole system was installed in 1984. When I spoke to Franklin Motors over the phone, the tech told me it's ok to reuse if it's working ok since it matches exactly with the new pump I'm going to install. But I'm wondering if a large capacitor that's been in service like that is worth trusting. Anyone?

That link has a TROJAN HORSE virus !
    Good thing my malware blocked it.
    http://onlinelinkscan.com thinks it is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Reach4 View Post
    http://onlinelinkscan.com thinks it is OK.
    I'm using Avast anti-virus and a defender window popped up saying "Dangerous Trojan Horse blocked". Not all anti-virus or malware programs will catch an embedded virus and not every virus will manifest itself to be detectible in online virus blocking programs. But a Trojan Horse is exactly that--it can pop up as problematic on your software at any time down the road and isn't initially seen as being a virus. A Trojan Horse for sure.

Actually, a pump that runs continuously like if your plumbing fails, will run cooler than one that short cycles.

As for Faradyne motors being better than Franklin or vise versa, we pulled a Goulds with a Faradyne motor yesterday that has about 1/32 hole burned through the case a few inches below where the motor lead is. I suspect the damage was due to short cycling because the diaphram in the tank failed.

I have seen Franklin motors with holes burned into them due to lightning, but can't remember seeing one with a hole due to short cycling.

Not much faith in Franklin anymore, huh?
    NO. Not much faith in any of them anymore. Everybody has to make a pump/motor as cheaply as the next company in order to compete on price. My point is they are all made cheaply. So it is even more important than ever to limit the cycling to make the cheap pumps/motors last as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by valveman View Post
    My point is they are all made cheaply. So it is even more important than ever to limit the cycling to make the cheap pumps/motors last as long as possible.
    Good advice. So watering the lawn is out !
    You'd think at least something that's going to be buried would last a decent time considering how much expense and inconvienence it costs to correct it.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

You don't have to stop watering the lawn. You only need to match the draw so that it doesn't cycle.

As for buried, I think it is against code to bury wells anymore. It should stub out above ground.