(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tankless water heater Scenario

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

As long as you are willing to always restrict hot water use to one fixture, and it can meet your needs, a tankless may satisfy you. If you were regularly trying to fill a tub, or use hot water on occasion for clothes, or tried to use them while you wanted to shower, you'd be much less satisfied. It also depends on your utility rates - where I live, it can approach $0.20/KwHr delivered...NG is MUCH more economical to heat water, cheaper to install and service.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    As long as you are willing to always restrict hot water use to one fixture, and it can meet your needs, a tankless may satisfy you. If you were regularly trying to fill a tub, or use hot water on occasion for clothes, or tried to use them while you wanted to shower, you'd be much less satisfied. It also depends on your utility rates - where I live, it can approach $0.20/KwHr delivered...NG is MUCH more economical to heat water, cheaper to install and service.
    Of course! Utility rates for different forms of energy are a big consideration regardless of tank or tankless style water heating. One fixture? I don't understand. I've been running two showers simultaneously while washing clothes for two years with no issues. That's with 29 kW and 41 degree incoming water. If I needed more hot water all at once i would have installed the Tempra 36 Plus. But the published temperature rise curves are accurate and the smaller 29 kW unit is more than enough in this application. I don't understand your comment about resticting your usage to one fixture at a time. That would only be true for super-high draw fixtures such as a large tub that was plumbed with fast filling in mind. The good thing about the Tempra Plus line of on-demand heaters is that, should the occupants demand more water than it is capable of delivering, it simply throttles back the volume while maintaining the preset temperature. So, your washing machine or dishwasher may fill more slowly or the volume of water in your shower may decrease a little (I have never experienced this except as an experimental test with all taps open) but the water remains hot. I cannot say I've had pleasant experiences when I've exceeded the capacity of any tank style heater! I imagine most have experienced having to rinse soap or shampoo with icy cold water, not a pleasant experience. Or your dishes are washed with cold water which of course results in dishes that are not clean or sanitary. Just as bad is the two hour wait for the water to get hot again! Not good if your out of town guests want to shower before seeing the local sights.

No thank-you, not for me amigo!
    Last edited by MikeQ; 12-16-2013 at 02:33 PM.