Shower trap out of three 90 degree ells?????

Users who are viewing this thread

dtraster

Reaction score
Is this permitted? Is it advisable?
Trap using multiple ells.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Hopefully that is a vented lav drain coming into the other side of the wye, or you have much bigger problems.

dtraster

Reaction score
First, almost none of this is glued... this is a preliminary dry fit--so I can make almost any needed changes. I'm trying to figure out the layout before I start framing.

It's my understanding that the vent for a 2" drain line can be several feet from the drain itself. In any event, this is a shower drain in the middle of the bathroom floor. The drain will flow to a 4x4x2 wye that will be vented to the roof. The top picture shows the drain line butting up against a 2x10 floor joist on the opposite wall. That drain line is for the sink and will go through the joist and up to the sink. I THINK that the 2" drain is adequately vented in this layout, BUT I'm thinking that even if it is "adequate" the better approach would be to extend a vent from the sink drain, up through the far wall into the attic, and then over the top of the bathroom back to the vent stack.

The second photo shows the proposed drain from the toilet.

Here are two photos of the layout as I have it conceived now...

IMG_1449.jpg
IMG_1442.jpg

Last edited:

dtraster

Reaction score
Thank you Terry. I seem to recall that a 2" line could be up to 6' from the vent, which is just how far away the lav drain will be, but that's evidently my faulty memory at work. But even if it were permissible, there's no real reason not to do it so that what I was planning.

And, BTW, this is a great site and you're providing a valuable service. It's appreciated.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, since the socket or hub of the fittings is tapered, dry fitting will almost always result in an incorrect final result...when you add the cement, you literally melt the plastic, and the pipe will go deeper into the hub, making any of what you thought were careful measurements and cuts progressively off with each fitting down the line.

dtraster

Reaction score
I'm aware that dry fitting isn't accurate. I was only going for the general idea here. I may have sacrificed a length of 2" pvc by cutting it too short but it seemed worth it to make sure that what I saw in my mind was really going to work and to get input from you all to make sure I wasn't out in left field on basic layout... And, I'm sure I'll be able to find a use for the pipe even it it is too short.

That said, I can't thank all of you enough for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks