new tub install - small leak by drain

Users who are viewing this thread

crutchfield

Reaction score
My wife and I are installing a whirlpool tub. We glued the ABS pipes this weekend and set the tub in place to test out the whirlpool pipes and motor. (We did not mortar it in yet as we wanted to make sure it worked properly.) We used some plumbers putty on the drain and screwed it on. Then we filled the tub to an inch over the jets and started it up. Everything was working great until we drained the tub. Once we started draining the tub we noticed a leak underneath the tub in between the rubber circle piece and the tub (Underneath the tub is the ABS pipe, a rubber circle piece, and then the tub). A bead of water was dripping every two or three seconds from this area. Once the tub was emptied, I tightened the drain a bit more. We filled the tub up with a bit of water. That appeared to fix it, although I did notice a glimmer of water where the beads were dripping out. When we took the tub apart, I noticed that some plumbers putty got in between the bottom of the tub and the rubber circle piece. Was this the culprit? Is the solution to simply apply the putty more carefully next time? Is there a sealant I should use on the ABS pipe, the rubber piece, and the bottom of the tub?

Thanks for your help in advance. This has been a very useful site as this is our first venture into the world of plumbing!

Steve

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, some had recommended using some pipe dope on the threads of the strainer/drain. It would make the thing harder to remove, but shouldn't hurt. Anybody else have an idea?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
I would use just a little less putty, but work it real good so its nice and soft.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
use the putty , luke

just go heavy on the putty.....

you should also greaze up the threads with pipe dope

and possibly that bottom reubber too.....

if you tighten it down till you have literally squeezed all the putty
out of the gap you should win.......

what are you useing to tighten this down with????

they do make a special tool for about 5 bucks that really works good.

crutchfield

Reaction score
Thanks for the repsonses.

I was using pliers to screw the drain down. What's the tool called?

Steve.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
tub wrench??

I thik its called a tub wrench, I have seen them at Lowes

for around 6 bucks....

, they appear like a a steel fork , or like a set of needle noze pliers
that you insert between the barbs of the tub shoe.....

youi jsut tighten it down with a wrench or pliers till you cant move it
no more.....

you can do about the same thing with an old set of
long needle nose pliers too...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks