(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Drain lines for bathroom renovation

Default Drain lines for bathroom renovation

I am renovating a 1st floor bathroom and I am moving the location of the toilet and tub. Referencing the drawing the "(Vent) new sink" vertical section has always been there. It is a vertical vent that goes up through the 2nd floor and out through the roof. The sink in this 1st floor bathroom connects to this vent with a Sanitary T. The tub trap used to be closer to this vertical vent/sink line and connected directly in to it, then it ran over to the toilet which was pretty much above the 3" line going off to the bottom left of the diagram. The upstairs tub, upstairs toilet, washer, and 3" line going off to the bottom left have always been there. I was wondering if you guys would give some helpful criticism of what I have planned. I know don't have lengths on there, but the line from the tub trap to the vent doesn't not exceed the max of (I think) 6'. Thanks for any help.

Name:  plumbing.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  100.2 KB
    Last edited by lemmy; 10-10-2013 at 08:25 AM.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

All of the pipe downstream of the toilets will need to be 3". The laundry will need a vent.

The laundry does have a vent back closer to the trap but it isn't shown on the drawing. The only part I wasn't sure about is where the tub drain goes through the trap and then over to the horizontal run from the vent over to the toilet. Is it ok to have the line from the tub come in to this horizontal section for the vent or should I try to bring it in to the vertical section of the vent line? Thanks.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

As long as you are within the maximum distance your plumbing code allows for distance between the trap and vent, the tub and water closet are being wet vented through the lavatory, which is allowed in most places.

Thank you very much! That was the confirmation I was hoping for.

The way you have it drawn, it looks like the tub trap WILL be too far from the vent, and connecting to the vertical pipe would be the ideal way.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber