water heater drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Netmouse

Reaction score
I am having an electric water heater installed in my basement that has a concrete floor, unfinished. There was none here before.

There is no floor drain. There is one drain pipe about 4 feet off the floor that drains downward to the sewer pipe a few feet below that. A rubber hose from my washing machine empties into that (the pipe sticks up and is open on top, and the washing machine rubber hose folds over and into that). What can be done for a new electric water heater? Does code typically require a floor drain or submersible sump pump that drains up and out to the ground or into that drain / sewer pipe or ..... is that something not in code and not what is looked at?

Netmouse

Reaction score
I am reading about a taco wags shut off. And a A.O. Smith shut off. Is this the solution I need? If this shuts off new water entry and the tank still empties, is there a hazard by having the electric elements sill on with an empty tank (I assume it'll maybe kill the elements, but hopefully not burn the house down)?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks