(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Plywood thickness under tile

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

There are regular Schluter training classes all over the US (never looked into Canada), either off-site at a convention center or at either their new distribution center in Nevada or the main office in Plattsburg, NY. All you have to do is get a regional rep to approve you to go...it's free once you get there - they pay for the hotel, food, and training. Since they don't have to ship as much, the classes at the fixed bases are a little longer and they cover more information, so it is worthwhile to take one of those sessions, if you can get there. Plattsburg is less than 4-hours away from me and sort of on the path to other places I go, so it was both convenient and not really much out of my way.

On www.johnbridge.com/forums, some pros only chime in when there's something unusual, the regulars cannot handle or get wrong. There's a lot of oversight to ensure what's said is correct, whereas I seem to be the only one to catch your strays from industry norms.

If the quantity of posts is anything, you're on track to be right up there after time. Anytime Terry asks me to stop, I'll bow out. Using this to promote your business, solicit consults, etc. seems to be kind of against the rules and self-serving. I'm not sure why Terry puts up with it, but it is his site.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post(s) removed by John Whipple
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-16-2014 at 07:24 AM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

FWIW, both Terry and John Bridge are friends, at least that's what I've been told, and they regularly point people here for plumbing questions. Before you, since it is more of a plumbing place, people would suggest that site as the one having more professionals on tile related issues, and the shower and bathtub forum here was more on suggestions of brands, and how to install them - not the tiling issues. And, to me this is important, you'll get more opinions and options there than here when it relates to tiling. I try to handle some of the more common, simpler issues, and will point people over there for more complex issues, or for more opinions. It's been that way for a long time until you came around and started to throw darts.

Another big difference, the people there do not use the site as a sales floor like you do, promoting themselves. They only show work when there's a question and an example can help clarify the answer. As a result, they tend to not have as many posts. A totally different dynamic.

As to blocking links, the sites are there for two reasons, as a service and to make the owner(s) some money. Clicks on the site to an advertiser only pay when they're done from the individual site. Your example of blocking a link is totally understandable, and is one reason why Terry blocks out references to places that he competes in - why should he allow posters to suck sales from him or click on an advertiser's link from another site rather than his own? So, your reasoning is way off as to why that block is in place.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Blog Entries

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

This is not about moving higher on Google search, it's about accurate, reliable information. I start a thread when I have a question and point people to where they can get info if it's not readily available here in a timely fashion, or to get another opinion. You start one to sell you.
    Jim DeBruycker

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrwhipple View Post
    Quit the John Bridge Site
    According to the moderators at www.johnbridge.com/forums John Whipple was permanently banned from that site on 02-20-11. At that time, John Whipple asked that all of his posts be removed, but that is not the policy of that site, and they remain.
    Jim DeBruycker

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Default Check List for Kerdi Installs

Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-16-2014 at 07:25 AM.

That tirade is one example of why John was eventually banned. Unfounded character assassinations and insinuations to character. John Bridge was glad to see him go, and he is not welcomed back. Anyone who disagrees with John is obviously a hack, and has bad intentions. Talk about sad.
    Jim DeBruycker

Blog Entries

I don't hate John, I think he is somewhat misguided in that he thinks the manufacturers don't know their own products, and have a feel for how to use them, and John knows better and anyone who thinks otherwise is either a dupe or on the pay. The industry isn't wrong...

And, when John's comments contradict fact (like on what provides waterproofing on Kerdiboard), I call him on it, and he goes into a tirade about this and that.

We all make mistakes, John is just not big enough to acknowledge that or learn from it. I recognize I can, and have acknowledged that more than once over the years here...I learn from them and others, and since I'm around more, it's not hard to answer a question that is already been asked 100 times...it doesn't change, many people won't search, and they get their answer quicker than waiting for a pro to get off work to then decide to check...in that manner, assuming you have the time, you can rack up a lot of messages...helping someone get a quick answer to their question. And, more than once, I've said wait for some other opinions, or sent them to a place where I know they can get them.

But, I wish Terry would actually moderate this more, and most of this whole thread would go away...we've lost the point of the original discussion...do you NEED more plywood under the tile. The short answer is no, there are millions of floors installed in the USA and Canada that work just fine with what the original poster has. AND, they don't have blocking in their floors. Adding it adds dead load that has little benefit here. This assumes that what's there is in good condition, was installed properly, and is the proper type (either T&G or has the edges blocked for support). If it's not, the choice is either take what's there up and replace, or add some. The minimum you should add would be 3/8".
    Last edited by jadnashua; 10-19-2013 at 09:32 PM.
    Jim DeBruycker

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrwhipple View Post
    Awesome - more personal attacks.

Thanks Jim!

Good to know a retired defense engineer is training us all on Schluter Installs. The nation's bathrooms are safe! Yeah Jim
    John, the only thing that sticks in my mind here with all your arguing is you basically calling old men dried up and useless. That's not true, as you will realize when you are older. Actually pretty funny. When you are in the rocking chair and somebody has to wipe the drool off your chin, well maybe, lol. Enjoy your and Jim's discussion.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

Can I get in on a pissing match ?

I may be old, but I still have range.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    Can I get in on a pissing match ?

I may be old, but I still have range.
    If this was Facebook Don, you'd get a Like from me on this. After my TURP in 2009, I have good range too.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator