(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Water Softener Installed ABOVE the Rest of Water Utility Equipment...

Default Water Softener Installed ABOVE the Rest of Water Utility Equipment...

Hello,

I have a chance with some other remodeling to build a dedicated water utility room. The unusual thing about this is that the room will be small, but have a 12 foot ceiling. I would like to build a small loft and install just the water softener and brine tank on it, directly above the water heater and well pressure tank. Is there any limitation with the plumbing and/or involved water pressure with doing such?

Peace,
    Dr. Z.

Gonna be a bitch getting them 40lb bags of salt into the brine tank.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Gonna be a bitch getting them 40lb bags of salt into the brine tank.
    HA! Yeah, well, it is all apart of my alternate workout program like my marriage is apart of my alternative communication degree...

It is hard to explain here, but this water utility room is adjacent to a multileveled floor plan, so a small hatch exclusively for the access to the brine tank and salt replenishment on a separate level can be built.

So, any issue with putting the water softener about 6-7 feet above the rest of the water utility equipment?

Peace,
    Dr. Z.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No problem at all. Salt tank access for filling is common in limited space applications. We have done many under stairwells where they simply hinged one of the steps for access to filling the brine tanks. Just remember that it eventually need to be serviced. It may be very difficult to repair, but thankfully, the good quality Fleck, Clack, or Autotrol systems last for 10-30 years with little to no service. I would recommend 10% crosslink resin, it is slightly more durable than standard resin, so it may give you even longer time between services.

I have some pictures of nearly identical installations in the hulls of boats, the softeners are installed 5-8 feet above the floor on metal platforms welded to the hulls. Not sue if I can find them, been 10 years, but I will look.

Quote Originally Posted by ditttohead View Post
    I have some pictures of nearly identical installations in the hulls of boats, the softeners are installed 5-8 feet above the floor on metal platforms welded to the hulls. Not sue if I can find them, been 10 years, but I will look.

Thanks for the reply and confirmation of my design ideas. I would be interested in seeing any photos that you have to share, but don't waste more than a couple of minutes looking for them just for us.

Peace,
    Dr. Z.