(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing a deep well

No argument about the grout, but it's hard to get a tremie line down the annular space between a 7 7/8 hole & 6 5/8 OD pipe

DIY Senior Member VAWellDriller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by craigpump View Post
    No argument about the grout, but it's hard to get a tremie line down the annular space between a 7 7/8 hole & 6 5/8 OD pipe
    Ahh....that's why they have to drive the pipe in; small hole....Are there no grout regulations up there?..does nobody else see that as a really important part of the job? I've done relatively slim holes for large diameter surface casing, and grouted from the inside out; called the Halliburton method....you pump measured amount of grout inside the casing, then push it out bottom with a packer, let it set up and pull the packer back out...you can get by with a slim hole and still have a good grout job.

In VA, law says hole is at least 3" larger than largest OD of casing....(so you have to count the bell). For the most part, mud drillers follow the rules on hole size, because we have to set large amounts of casing, and we know that won't work in a slim hole (mainly due to swelling clays). I usually drill hole 2 x nominal pipe size....4.5 casing goes in a 8 3/4 hole.....6" in a 12" hole....The rock guys around here seem to start with a 9 7/8" hole and install 6 1/4" PVC...which is almost 8" at the bell.

I'm familiar with grouting/cementing casing in through displacement, we did it all the time in Ky on oil & gas wells. Down there we would hold the casing back off bottom, pump the cement, pump a plug down with water to displace the cement and then set the casing on the bottom of the hole

We don't have to drive the pipe all the time provided the hole stays clean, a friend of mine drilled a well for me last winter that took 206' casing, drilled in with air and the pipe bounced off the bottom.

Why don't they use steel casing?

DIY Senior Member VAWellDriller's Avatar

I guess price and ease of handling....it does have a definite lifespan also, unlike PVC. I think for rock work, steel seems like a better choice.