F&W deep well jet pump replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Schudaddie

Reaction score
I'm currently trying to figure out what pump would be suitable to replace my F&W deep well jet pump (three stage, 1hp). It's date code is 76H3 and is a model C6279. It seems to work OK but due to it's age the casting is rusting and flaking off. It might have been installed in 1977 because that's when my 2" well was installed. From the paperwork from the driller the screen is set between 116' and 220' down. The fitting on the bottom of this vertical pump looks to be a single 2" pipe running horizontally out of my basement about 2' under the ground surface. F&W's website doesn't mention a 3 stage. Only 2 stage. Most of my searching online mentions a 2 pipe. I would just like to swap out my pump as my finances won't allow a new well etc. I did come across this pump (Flotec 1 HP Multi-Stage Deep-Well Jet Pump) at a reasonable price from home depot but I don't know if they are reliable etc. any info on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
thanks for your time, schudaddie

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with Porky

Around here Flotec is a 6 letter word for junk

Last edited:

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Pardon my intrusion, but I didn't want to have a new thread for the following question on Flotec and related products. The question is whether or not Pentair has maintained sufficient separation of its various pump brands, to the effect that one of their brand names still counts for as good a product as it was before acquisition. I've seen some pumps get new brand names, like the Berkeley SSHM-2 shallow-well jet pump getting a Sta-rite label and model number.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
If it is made of plastic then avoid it.

A 2 stage F&W cast Iron pump is fine, even a cast iron flotec is fine.

You can buy a cast iron pump from Sears, and you will be covered if you have problems. They will also send replacement parts to your house.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not anymore Don. At one time Sears did sell a in-house version of the MSE Sta-Rite that was good.

If it is made of plastic then avoid it.

A 2 stage F&W cast Iron pump is fine, even a cast iron flotec is fine.

You can buy a cast iron pump from Sears, and you will be covered if you have problems. They will also send replacement parts to your house.

Good Luck.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
How do you know it's a 3 stage? All the 3 stage pumps I am aware of are at least a 1.5 HP, but I am not very familiar with the F&W brand as for some reason they have very little market share here.

I'm currently trying to figure out what pump would be suitable to replace my F&W deep well jet pump (three stage, 1hp). It's date code is 76H3 and is a model C6279. It seems to work OK but due to it's age the casting is rusting and flaking off. It might have been installed in 1977 because that's when my 2" well was installed. From the paperwork from the driller the screen is set between 116' and 220' down. The fitting on the bottom of this vertical pump looks to be a single 2" pipe running horizontally out of my basement about 2' under the ground surface. F&W's website doesn't mention a 3 stage. Only 2 stage. Most of my searching online mentions a 2 pipe. I would just like to swap out my pump as my finances won't allow a new well etc. I did come across this pump (Flotec 1 HP Multi-Stage Deep-Well Jet Pump) at a reasonable price from home depot but I don't know if they are reliable etc. any info on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
thanks for your time, schudaddie

DonL

Reaction score

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Look again Don. That is sold by "Hardware Habitat". They are doing the same thing Amazon does. If they don't sell it they hook you up with someone who does and then take a little cut of the action.

I think you are correct about that pump being 2 stage, not sure how it became 3.

Sears still offer a few different brands. F&W, Wayne, Flotec to name a few.

The Flotec 1HP 2 stage is still being sold. Runs on 120 or 240V, 12 GPM at 50PSI.

http://www.sears.com/flotec-deep-we...M1740994214?prdNo=38&blockNo=38&blockType=G38

Have Fun.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can just imagine taking a pump into Sears for an exchange.

Last weeks shoe salesman wouldn't have a clue about what he was looking at.

Buy from a REPUTABLE supplier and get better materials with fewer hassles.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Pardon my intrusion, but I didn't want to have a new thread for the following question on Flotec and related products. The question is whether or not Pentair has maintained sufficient separation of its various pump brands, to the effect that one of their brand names still counts for as good a product as it was before acquisition. I've seen some pumps get new brand names, like the Berkeley SSHM-2 shallow-well jet pump getting a Sta-rite label and model number.

After an acquisition they usually cease production of the higher quality pump(s) when there are two or more similar products. Then they brand the lower quality pump with the names of all the companies they previously acquired. Now they have no competition, only one production facility instead of six, and six different names for many different retailers to sell the same pump. Which by the way doesn’t last as long as it used to, but there is no longer any option, so you just replace it more often.

I can just imagine taking a pump into Sears for an exchange. Last weeks shoe salesman wouldn't have a clue about what he was looking at.

In the early 90’s I saw a room full of warranty pumps at Sta-Rite (now Pentair). They said there probably isn’t anything wrong with 90% of them. But Sears bought so many pumps that they didn’t question a warranty, they just handed them another pump.

Schudaddie

Reaction score
I had to contact F&W a few years ago for info on replacing the pressure switch. I gave them the date code and model number and that's what they told me. I also have a cutaway picture in my manual that looks to be a 3 stage (3 impellers) and my pump looks to have the same number but it's castings are so rusty it's hard to tell. I need to send them an email and see what they say. The guy I bought the house from had the motor replaced 4 times. In '88,'89,'91 & 93. The first time a possible lightening damage is mentioned on the receipt. Each time a 1 hp was installed. weird.... Maybe It started out as a 1.5hp. It is wired for 220v and I can read the tag on the motor as 1 hp. I'll let you know how this plays out...
later
How do you know it's a 3 stage? All the 3 stage pumps I am aware of are at least a 1.5 HP, but I am not very familiar with the F&W brand as for some reason they have very little market share here.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
What is the SF (service factor) of the motor? Sometimes they can rate these a little funny. For example, a Sta-Rite MSE is a "1-HP" motor but the SF is 1.65, which means that it is really a 1.5 HP motor in 1 HP guise. One good way to tell is to check the amps.

I had to contact F&W a few years ago for info on replacing the pressure switch. I gave them the date code and model number and that's what they told me. I also have a cutaway picture in my manual that looks to be a 3 stage (3 impellers) and my pump looks to have the same number but it's castings are so rusty it's hard to tell. I need to send them an email and see what they say. The guy I bought the house from had the motor replaced 4 times. In '88,'89,'91 & 93. The first time a possible lightening damage is mentioned on the receipt. Each time a 1 hp was installed. weird.... Maybe It started out as a 1.5hp. It is wired for 220v and I can read the tag on the motor as 1 hp. I'll let you know how this plays out...
later

DonL

Reaction score
Look again Don. That is sold by "Hardware Habitat". They are doing the same thing Amazon does. If they don't sell it they hook you up with someone who does and then take a little cut of the action.

Yes, I see that is the case. They never did build their own stuff, but they did back what they sold. At a cost of course.

If that pump is just rusty and still working, I would knock off the rust and paint it with Epoxy Enamel paint.

The Cast Iron 1 HP that HD sells is a decent pump if it is Model # FP4432.

Have Fun

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
After an acquisition they usually cease production of the higher quality pump(s) when there are two or more similar products. Then they brand the lower quality pump with the names of all the companies they previously acquired. Now they have no competition, only one production facility instead of six, and six different names for many different retailers to sell the same pump. Which by the way doesn’t last as long as it used to, but there is no longer any option, so you just replace it more often.

In the early 90’s I saw a room full of warranty pumps at Sta-Rite (now Pentair). They said there probably isn’t anything wrong with 90% of them. But Sears bought so many pumps that they didn’t question a warranty, they just handed them another pump.
Was Sta-Rite the manufacturer of the black plastic Craftsman pump I still see a lot of?

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
It might have been Simer, if they were making plastic pumps a generation ago. Easy enough to find an image of the ubiquitous pump. One of the results has the Simer name on the same pump.

5unv.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks