(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: F&W deep well jet pump replacement

  1. #1
    DIY Junior Member schudaddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    3

    Default F&W deep well jet pump replacement

    I'm currently trying to figure out what pump would be suitable to replace my F&W deep well jet pump (three stage, 1hp). It's date code is 76H3 and is a model C6279. It seems to work OK but due to it's age the casting is rusting and flaking off. It might have been installed in 1977 because that's when my 2" well was installed. From the paperwork from the driller the screen is set between 116' and 220' down. The fitting on the bottom of this vertical pump looks to be a single 2" pipe running horizontally out of my basement about 2' under the ground surface. F&W's website doesn't mention a 3 stage. Only 2 stage. Most of my searching online mentions a 2 pipe. I would just like to swap out my pump as my finances won't allow a new well etc. I did come across this pump (Flotec 1 HP Multi-Stage Deep-Well Jet Pump) at a reasonable price from home depot but I don't know if they are reliable etc. any info on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks for your time, schudaddie

  2. #2
    Porky Cutter,MGWC Porky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    727

    Default

    I recommend that you call Flint and Walling at 800-345-9422 http://www.flintandwalling.com/fwhome and present your questions. A Flotec would probably be my last choice.
    Porky Cutter, MGWC
    (Master Ground Water Consultant)

  3. #3
    DIY Senior Member craigpump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    ct
    Posts
    713

    Default

    I agree with Porky

    Around here Flotec is a 6 letter word for junk
    Last edited by craigpump; 10-06-2013 at 10:30 AM.

  4. #4
    Sprinkler Guy Wet_Boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Metro NYC
    Posts
    798

    Default

    Pardon my intrusion, but I didn't want to have a new thread for the following question on Flotec and related products. The question is whether or not Pentair has maintained sufficient separation of its various pump brands, to the effect that one of their brand names still counts for as good a product as it was before acquisition. I've seen some pumps get new brand names, like the Berkeley SSHM-2 shallow-well jet pump getting a Sta-rite label and model number.

  5. #5
    DIY Junior Member schudaddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craigpump View Post
    I'm agree with Porky

    Around here Flotec is a 6 letter word for junk
    thanks so much for the scoop on f%#tec. sound like contacting F&W is the way to go......
    later, schudaddie

  6. #6
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,652

    Default

    If it is made of plastic then avoid it.

    A 2 stage F&W cast Iron pump is fine, even a cast iron flotec is fine.

    You can buy a cast iron pump from Sears, and you will be covered if you have problems. They will also send replacement parts to your house.


    Good Luck.
    Last edited by DonL; 10-06-2013 at 03:49 PM.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  7. #7
    In the Trades Texas Wellman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SE Texas-Coastal
    Posts
    487

    Default

    Not anymore Don. At one time Sears did sell a in-house version of the MSE Sta-Rite that was good.

    Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    If it is made of plastic then avoid it.

    A 2 stage F&W cast Iron pump is fine, even a cast iron flotec is fine.

    You can buy a cast iron pump from Sears, and you will be covered if you have problems. They will also send replacement parts to your house.


    Good Luck.

  8. #8
    In the Trades Texas Wellman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SE Texas-Coastal
    Posts
    487

    Default

    How do you know it's a 3 stage? All the 3 stage pumps I am aware of are at least a 1.5 HP, but I am not very familiar with the F&W brand as for some reason they have very little market share here.



    Quote Originally Posted by schudaddie View Post
    I'm currently trying to figure out what pump would be suitable to replace my F&W deep well jet pump (three stage, 1hp). It's date code is 76H3 and is a model C6279. It seems to work OK but due to it's age the casting is rusting and flaking off. It might have been installed in 1977 because that's when my 2" well was installed. From the paperwork from the driller the screen is set between 116' and 220' down. The fitting on the bottom of this vertical pump looks to be a single 2" pipe running horizontally out of my basement about 2' under the ground surface. F&W's website doesn't mention a 3 stage. Only 2 stage. Most of my searching online mentions a 2 pipe. I would just like to swap out my pump as my finances won't allow a new well etc. I did come across this pump (Flotec 1 HP Multi-Stage Deep-Well Jet Pump) at a reasonable price from home depot but I don't know if they are reliable etc. any info on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks for your time, schudaddie

  9. #9
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Wellman View Post
    Not anymore Don. At one time Sears did sell a in-house version of the MSE Sta-Rite that was good.

    I think you are correct about that pump being 2 stage, not sure how it became 3.


    Sears still offer a few different brands. F&W, Wayne, Flotec to name a few.

    The Flotec 1HP 2 stage is still being sold. Runs on 120 or 240V, 12 GPM at 50PSI.

    http://www.sears.com/flotec-deep-wel...&blockType=G38


    Have Fun.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  10. #10
    In the Trades Texas Wellman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SE Texas-Coastal
    Posts
    487

    Default

    Look again Don. That is sold by "Hardware Habitat". They are doing the same thing Amazon does. If they don't sell it they hook you up with someone who does and then take a little cut of the action.

    Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    I think you are correct about that pump being 2 stage, not sure how it became 3.


    Sears still offer a few different brands. F&W, Wayne, Flotec to name a few.

    The Flotec 1HP 2 stage is still being sold. Runs on 120 or 240V, 12 GPM at 50PSI.

    http://www.sears.com/flotec-deep-wel...&blockType=G38


    Have Fun.

  11. #11
    DIY Senior Member craigpump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    ct
    Posts
    713

    Default

    I can just imagine taking a pump into Sears for an exchange.

    Last weeks shoe salesman wouldn't have a clue about what he was looking at.

    Buy from a REPUTABLE supplier and get better materials with fewer hassles.

  12. #12
    Moderator valveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lubbock, Texas
    Posts
    4,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
    Pardon my intrusion, but I didn't want to have a new thread for the following question on Flotec and related products. The question is whether or not Pentair has maintained sufficient separation of its various pump brands, to the effect that one of their brand names still counts for as good a product as it was before acquisition. I've seen some pumps get new brand names, like the Berkeley SSHM-2 shallow-well jet pump getting a Sta-rite label and model number.
    After an acquisition they usually cease production of the higher quality pump(s) when there are two or more similar products. Then they brand the lower quality pump with the names of all the companies they previously acquired. Now they have no competition, only one production facility instead of six, and six different names for many different retailers to sell the same pump. Which by the way doesn’t last as long as it used to, but there is no longer any option, so you just replace it more often.

    Quote Originally Posted by craigpump View Post
    I can just imagine taking a pump into Sears for an exchange. Last weeks shoe salesman wouldn't have a clue about what he was looking at.
    In the early 90’s I saw a room full of warranty pumps at Sta-Rite (now Pentair). They said there probably isn’t anything wrong with 90% of them. But Sears bought so many pumps that they didn’t question a warranty, they just handed them another pump.

  13. #13
    DIY Senior Member craigpump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    ct
    Posts
    713

    Default

    That maybe true Cary, but Sears/KMart isn't the store it used to be

  14. #14
    Moderator valveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lubbock, Texas
    Posts
    4,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craigpump View Post
    That maybe true Cary, but Sears/KMart isn't the store it used to be
    That was back when Sears was one of the only places a homeowner could buy a submersible pump. Now they sell them under many different names to all the box stores and let them cut each others throats (prices).

  15. #15
    DIY Junior Member schudaddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I had to contact F&W a few years ago for info on replacing the pressure switch. I gave them the date code and model number and that's what they told me. I also have a cutaway picture in my manual that looks to be a 3 stage (3 impellers) and my pump looks to have the same number but it's castings are so rusty it's hard to tell. I need to send them an email and see what they say. The guy I bought the house from had the motor replaced 4 times. In '88,'89,'91 & 93. The first time a possible lightening damage is mentioned on the receipt. Each time a 1 hp was installed. weird.... Maybe It started out as a 1.5hp. It is wired for 220v and I can read the tag on the motor as 1 hp. I'll let you know how this plays out...
    later
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Wellman View Post
    How do you know it's a 3 stage? All the 3 stage pumps I am aware of are at least a 1.5 HP, but I am not very familiar with the F&W brand as for some reason they have very little market share here.

Similar Threads

  1. Underslab drain replacement not deep enough for current code
    By emd36 in forum IPC Plumbing Code Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-13-2012, 10:30 PM
  2. Broken Cast Iron Flange too Deep for insert replacement
    By Chesapeake in forum Toilet Forum discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-03-2011, 10:48 AM
  3. Water Source Heat Pump Deep Pump Sizing
    By Greg-VA in forum Solar and Geothermal Water Heating Forum
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 04-20-2009, 09:33 AM
  4. Deep Well Jet Cleaning or Replacement
    By HELP!!! in forum Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-26-2007, 09:48 AM
  5. Water Source Heat Pump Deep Pump Sizing
    By Greg-VA in forum Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 01-21-2007, 04:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •