Proper use of sanitary Tees

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul113

Reaction score
I recently came across an installation that goes against all I was taught and how I interpret P3005.1, yet was passed by the local AHJ during a rough in. Here is a photo. Please give me your opinions. San Tee code quest..jpgSan Tee 1.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Obviously, it is incorrect, but many times inspectors are "90 day wonders" or contractors who could not make it in the private sector. I have know inspectors who pass jobs without even getting out of their cars. One friend who used to work in St. Louis, said they called for a plumbing inspection for one building of two identical ones they were building. After the inspection, the inspector said it was the best installation he had seen in a long time. The only problem was he inspected the wrong building. The one that did not have ANY plumbing in it yet.

Last edited:

Paul113

Reaction score
I sent the code official this photo without the notation, and he replied that he saw nothing wrong with this installation based on Table P3005.1. I then sent him the photos you see and he replied that it would be incorrect if the sanitary Tee was rotated 90 degrees. I replied that this would still be a prohibited use because by turning it 90 degrees it is now a horizontal to horizontal change of direction, which is STILL a prohibited use. He has not replied. I am not trying to be an ass here, I just want to know where he is coming from, so he can make me understand or admit he has been incorrect in his interpretation.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
I sent the code official this photo without the notation, and he replied that he saw nothing wrong with this installation based on Table P3005.1. I then sent him the photos you see and he replied that it would be incorrect if the sanitary Tee was rotated 90 degrees. I replied that this would still be a prohibited use because by turning it 90 degrees it is now a horizontal to horizontal change of direction, which is STILL a prohibited use. He has not replied. I am not trying to be an ass here, I just want to know where he is coming from, so he can make me understand or admit he has been incorrect in his interpretation.

I doubt that even if he is incorrect he will admit it. All you will accomplish is to get him pissed off and he will make you pay for it.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Right or wrong, he is ALWAYS the inspector, and if you don't want to be hassled on every job you do, leave him alone. Many inspectors are plumbers who could not make it in the private sector. When I was an apprentice, we had the inspector for a neighboring city working for us. I fired him because he didn't do things correctly. The apprentice at his new company was in school with me and he said all you had to do was get a few drinks into him and then ask him about apprentices and he would go on for hours about how he was a plumber for 25 years and some "green" apprentice thought he knew more than he did.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Using 2" tees on their back for a three-compartment sink drain is standard procedure here. How's it done out there in the civilized world?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Using 2" tees on their back for a three-compartment sink drain is standard procedure here.

That is a special application and is ahead of the trap.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank God. I was shaking in my boots waiting on your reply.
I inspected the plumbing on a scrubby little block house out in the boonies. It was for an ex-relative who was thinking about buying it. There was a 3" Tee in the waste line on it's side. Wait, there's more. It was pointed the wrong way. So, everything coming down the pipe had to take a left turn, make a 180, then flow back down toward the septic tank. If there was one. I told him: "Dude, you don't want this place."

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thank God. I was shaking in my boots waiting on your reply.
I inspected the plumbing on a scrubby little block house out in the boonies. It was for an ex-relative who was thinking about buying it. There was a 3" Tee in the waste line on it's side. Wait, there's more. It was pointed the wrong way. So, everything coming down the pipe had to take a left turn, make a 180, then flow back down toward the septic tank. If there was one. I told him: "Dude, you don't want this place."

I can imagine what else is buried in those walls. Ouch! :(

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks