(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stubborn Toilet Requires 2 Flushes

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    You may have something in the trapway slowing down the siphon.
    Pull the bowl and run and auger from the bottom, and reset.
    Wouldn't the fact that the 2nd flush always is fine indicate that nothing is in the way?

Re toilet age -
    Two story building constructed in 1991; toilet probably original. It is a Briggs. Inside tank: BRIGGS 493 Upside down: 958 (large numbers, last one partial impression) and 8-8190 (smaller)

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wouldn't the fact that the 2nd flush always is fine indicate that nothing is in the way?
    Not always.

Sometimes the trapway collects things that may catch and then not catch. It can be variable.
    The main thing that has been mentioned above, is the same starting point in the bowl. The bowl water level should be at it's fullest before you try flushing.
    If the water level has dropped in the bowl, then the first drop from the tank will need to replenish the bowl first, and then start the siphon. If you have things like pens or q-tips in the trapway, they can slow the siphon too.

DIY kid who loves toilets Starwarsith88's Avatar

Gaelic, I have an idea. Maybe try to replace the entire flush valve assembly. if so, it might be that the toilet needs to be replaced. If you get a new toilet, I recommend a TOTO Drake or Kohler Cimarron Class 5. They are both very good toilets and flush amazing. If you want to cut down on your waterbill, try out the TOTO Eco drake. Same as the TOTO Drake with the GMAX flush system (1.6 Gallons Per Flush) the Eco Drake will flush 1.28 gallons per flush at probably the same performance. Anyways, if you need the flush valve, try out the Korky one. They tend to be pretty good. Also replace the fill valve with a Korky 528MP, maybe the refill ratio needs to be higher.
    If you need to go with a new toilet, go with a TOTO!

Default Throwing in the towel(?)

OK, my latest and most extensive experiment. Luckily, I am on a [mostly] vegan diet, so nature always cooperates.

Today I flushed right before using and allowed the water to settle. After business was done, flushed. Two experiments so far today. The first time, the bowl's flush was not vigorous and most, but not all, of the stuff went down. The second experiment, same procedure, but this one a total failure. The swirling in the bowl was lethargic and almost nothing went down. This was followed immediately by another flush that cleaned things out.

I am not young enough to give serious consideration to pulling the toilet up to run an auger. Nor do I have the ambition to replace the entire flush valve assembly in the, seemingly slight, hope that we can hold on to this 20 year-old toilet. So, I guess we have to decide whether we get a new one or accept this inconvenience.

Thanks to all. I am always cheered by the helpfulness found in forums such as this one. http://www.terrylove.com/forums/images/smilies/cool.png

I think I would address the rim holes once again. clean them out with a piece of coat-hanger. take a look and see if the commode has a siphon hole in the bowl. this can and will become clogged with deposits over time and definitely needs cleaned out also. this is what gives you the oomp in emptying the bowl. it is located opposite the flush hole in the bowl. just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by u.s.coins View Post
    I think I would address the rim holes once again. clean them out with a piece of coat-hanger. take a look and see if the commode has a siphon hole in the bowl. this can and will become clogged with deposits over time and definitely needs cleaned out also. this is what gives you the oomp in emptying the bowl. it is located opposite the flush hole in the bowl. just my 2 cents.
    I can have another go at that, but a plumber did try that 1-2 yrs ago. BTW, this has been an ongoing problem, to which our "approach" has been to depend on out 2nd bathroom for the serious stuff.
    Last edited by Gaelic; 10-12-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Gaelic -

This is Eons ago, but instead of pulling it up, you can try taking 2-3 5 Gallon Buckets, Filling them with Water and just doing a *purge fillup/flush* into the bowl.

I did that eong ago, out of curiousity, and on my intial *dump* of water with a 3gallon bucket of water, I was surpised to see a little tissue paper float back into the bowl when the bowl was empty/clean to begin with. I then proceeded with just a succession of 5 Gallon Inrush Buckets of water, which was like a poor mans jetter....

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    Gaelic -
    I then proceeded with just a succession of 5 Gallon Inrush Buckets of water, which was like a poor mans jetter....
    This sounds like something I am capable of. Now... if I only knew what an Inrush Bucket is...

I think he means to dump the water from the five gallon bucket into the bowl from as high as comfortable and as fast as practical. The inrush of water may sweep away any obstructions.