Need help identifying an American Standard two handle shower cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

steelpeart

Reaction score
I have a poor seat on an older (1980's) American Standard 2-handle shower and need to find the replacement cartridge. I'm attaching pictures but there are no visible numbers on this type. It would be good if I could just replace the cartridges and the handles.

Thanks in advance for your help!

233.jpg232.jpg

As you can see, the seat on this cartridge is worn.

robert13084

Reaction score
Its an american standard aquaseal. I recommend replacing the whole stem but you can get the black gasket as well. Home depot should stock the stem.

Asktom

Reaction score
I think it is a "Cadet", not an "Aqua Seal" - the washer is smaller. You should also change the seat. The OEM# for the stem is 44261-07. The seat is 13274-04 and the size is 7/16" X 24 thread and it is 1 3/16" tall.

steelpeart

Reaction score
I think it is a "Cadet", not an "Aqua Seal" - the washer is smaller. You should also change the seat. The OEM# for the stem is 44261-07. The seat is 13274-04 and the size is 7/16" X 24 thread and it is 1 3/16" tall.

Yes, you are exactly right and over this past weekend, this Cadet unit has taken me down the road to ruin. One plumbing supply store carries these and they are not open until Monday. Although I had replaced the worn cartridges I am now in the position to have to replace the seats as well.

I've been directed to a local plumbing supply store who supposedly carries an improved cartridge/seat combo for this particular 2 knob shower set.

At current time, the shower is leaking at an alarming rate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks