(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got a question about using a 3x3x2 wye horizontally

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would not put the pipe through the joists on your home.
    Cut the pipe and raise it using the hangers you already have.
    Angle the wye with a section of pipe, and point it toward the pipe. That angle will be plenty. Use long turn 90 bends, especially since you are pumping that line.

There was never a code that required the way to be raised anyway. Tilting the wye toward the raise pipe should be enough for your inspector.

And get that p-trap for the tub too.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I would not put the pipe through the joists on your home.
    Cut the pipe and raise it using the hangers you already have.
    Angle the wye with a section of pipe, and point it toward the pipe. That angle will be plenty. Use long turn 90 bends, especially since you are pumping that line.

There was never a code that required the way to be raised anyway. Tilting the wye toward the raise pipe should be enough for your inspector.

And get that p-trap for the tub too.
    I am just in a bind because the pipe starts out on the left of the room smack up against the bottom of the joist. As I come down 1/4 per foot buy the time I make it to the right side of the room I only have about 1" of an elevation difference between where the 2" pipe would be following the pitch and where the 2" connection wye would be sitting level on its side. So even if I tilt it up a bit I cannot find an elbow or combination of elbows to make it all come together correctly.

Yeah the inspector has me pulling my hair out as no 10 feet form this wye there is a 3x3x3 that is on its side that is bringing one side of the houses drains into the line with the others. Grrrrrrrrr.

p.s Yeah I put that trap in there while I had the tub out.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There is no reason for that 2" line to "grade" down. It's a pumped line. It can and does go straight up from the pump. I would just pull it tight up to the floor joist, and then drop down to your 3" gravity waste line.
    The 2" is "not" a gravity drain. It has a pump "pushing" waste water through it.

Name:  wye.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  38.8 KB

Well I moved it down a bit and over where there was better place to run it. This pleased the inspector. I also put in a new wye and new piece of 3" so I only had to used one shielded coupling. Braced it real well on either side of the shielded coupling as well. No more standard mission couplings. Took some extra work to figure out how to get it all back together with only one coupling. Almost could have put it back together with none but it would have meant putting another joint in the 3" so I said screw it and just used one shielded.

Thanks for all the help guys!!