(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Need help with shower valves

Default Need help with shower valves

I have this old valve assembly which I can not find the correct replacement valves for. The body has no markings on it other then tub/shower ports. I prefer not to replace the entire assembly but rather just the valves. Attached is a picture from the back of the shower where I broke away the drywall to get a better understanding of what I am dealing with. Have you seen this type of assembly before?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That picture kind of helps. A better view would be the handle side.

You are so close to being able to just replace it though.
    Normally we replace with a single handle pressure balanced valve with remodel plate.

If you go for the repair, you can pull the stems out and bring them down to match them up. You will want to replace the valve seats while you are at it. That takes a tool, which they should have.

I hear ya and will most likely be replacing the entire assembly. Was hoping to replace just valves and seats. Problem is I have taken the valve stems to several hardware stores and plumbing supply shops and no one can match the diverting valve correctly. Water valves are no problem. Was hoping you came across this same type unit and know manufacturer and replacement part #'s.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have taken the valve stems to several hardware stores and plumbing supply shops and no one can match the diverting valve correctly.
    It's a good thing you weren't paying a plumber to drive around looking for parts.
    That's one reason, it makes more sense to pick out a current offering, one that will have parts for years down the line, and just "get er done!"

Last edited by Terry; 10-03-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Luckily they still make faucets like the one you have, I just replaced one like this the other day.
    What's good about replacing it is: 1. you get a new faucet with new stems, and 2. it fits the holes, and there is no need for a large oversize cover plate (if you were to replace it with a single handle faucet)

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Technically, you can rebuild that assembly, but personally, I'd prefer a more modern valve that meets current codes. You cannot legally replace it unless you change it to one meeting current codes, and a direct replacement, although it would be legal for a tub only situation, it is not when it contains a shower.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

IF you know who made the faucet, which would be a requirement to get the hot and cold stems, locating the diverter should be a piece of cake, from the same source. NO plumber would EVER cut the wall open to repair that valve. It is ALWAYS done from the tub side of the wall.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

That's what I'm trying to do but mine is 11' and new are only 8", who makes one that's 11" so I don't have to cut and re-route the galvanized water supply pipes?

You have to go to a "specialty plumbing supply company". Many "premium brands", such as California Brass, make 11" center valves. You might also be able to make one with two "angle shower" valves, a "two way diverter", and a couple of brass nipples.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Gerber makes a 11" replacement for that assembly. I just went through the same process, and after replacing the stems, founds out that the problem was a cracked valve body.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I'll repeat, you CANNOT legally replace the valve unless it is one that meets current codes - that means it MUST have anti-scald technology in it. You CAN repair what you have, if you wish. There are add-on antiscald devices that could be made to work with a new valve, but the plumbing can get a little messy. This may become an issue should you desire to sell the house, and would be if you got a plumbing permit and had things inspected (which is also technically required if you replace it).
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014