Is there a decent Flapper MOD for the Rialto

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
I've been holding off replacing it till a remodel. Just due to the color of the toilet...matching the sink and tub.

Anyhow, this Rialto is on my last nerve...
It just leaks one way or another. I replaced the flapper (again) a couple months ago. Less then 6 months I suppose.
It has been problem free until it acts up, which is recently. It just won't sit properly. I've adjusted the slack on the chain one notch, moved the position where it sits, etc.

Somebody has to come up with a flapper that is 3/8 larger in diameter so it wont hit the overflow , but is ~larger~ so that damm thing sits and seals.

For all you plumbers who see this everyday....is there a fix, or is it time to take it out to greener pastures.
]

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How about a picture of the inside of the tank?

Sometimes you can bend the trip lever and make it pull from a better position.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Here goes for a pic.
There is litterally about a hair less than 1/8" of play where the flapper seats.
If only the design was smigen wider.

kohler.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Anytime you see a toilet that pulls the flapper to the side like that will give you problems once it softens a little bit (happens faster if there's lots of stuff like chlorine in the water).

Chefwong

Reaction score
It's official. It broke the camels back...
Ultramax II on the way.

The intent for this bathroom on the next remodel was a wall hung unit...grrr.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Paging wjcandee

Ultramax came in today.
Off to Lowes tomorrow to pickup that MaxPerformance Korky Valve....
You seem to give it a much higher praise than the stock

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have the Korky valve in your new toilet, it's a waste of money to swap it out for essentially the same valve! If you have the other brand they sometimes use (it has a plastic screw on the top), I'd still wait until it dies, and that could be a VERY long time, unless, you had one that was too noisy.

Caduceus

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It's a good thing to get a replacement. After dozens of Kohler Rialto rebuilds, I have found that the flush valve seal is the biggest problem more so than the flapper, but also the best replacement parts for the rebuild are the very expensive Kohler kits. A better investment in buying new.

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
I've had a Rialto in my own house for about 10 years now. It never worked right from day 1. As Jad and Terry correctly observed, the trip lever pulls the chain at an angle. I have lengthened the trip lever on mine and that moved the chain to a more vertical pull. Still, it occasionally leaks. New parts don't solve the problem. As I said, mine never worked right since new. It's the most expensive toilet in my house (it's black) and also the worst performing.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have repaired many Rialtos, and it has always worked the first time, but you have to insert the "hinge" into the right slot on the back of the flush valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks