Rough In with shutoff valves for shower panel

Users who are viewing this thread

sriniwass

Reaction score
Rough-in with shutoff valves for shower panel

Hello,

I'm remodeling my bathroom and I need some advice on roughing in the supply lines for my Decor Star 004-SS Stainless Steel Rainfall Shower Panel shower panel. The panel has 1/2" FIP connections. I will be tapping in to 3/4" PEX supply lines in the basement. I wouls liketo put in stop valves in the bathroom side hidden behind the shower panel ((the depth o fthe panel is 2 1/2"). Technically I do not need the stop valve but I figured I'd put it in if possible. Here are some of my questions:

1. Can I run 3/4" PEX to the shower panel?
  2. Can the nipples in the wall be PEX?
  3. Are there angle stop valves that covert from 3/4" to 1/2"?
  4. If I can't use PEX then what is the alternative? I have not seen any threaded copper nipples, only brass. Would I run copper from the basement to an elbow behind the shower and then the brass nipple?

I would appreciate any recommendations especially from anyone who has done a similar installation. Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
-Sri

decor_shower_bar_ss.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
khan_1496.jpg

I used 1/2" brass nipples out of the tile for this shower bar.
You may have a tough time fitting a shutoff behind that.
They do make 1/2" IP by 1/2" IP shutoffs.

It may be a good idea to run 3/4" PEX and then reduce down at the wall.
This one had 1/2" copper all the way, which is larger than 1/2" PEX.

sriniwass

Reaction score
I used 1/2" brass nipples out of the tile for this shower bar.
You may have a tough time fitting a shutoff behind that.
They do make 1/2" IP by 1/2" IP shutoffs.

It may be a good idea to run 3/4" PEX and then reduce down at the wall.
This one had 1/2" copper all the way, which is larger than 1/2" PEX.

Thanks for the response Terry. So, I guess I will be running 3/4" PEX all the way to the shower and terminate either with shutoff valves if they can fit behind the panel or otherwise with a PEX male threaded adapter. The shower installation guide recommends an elbow at the supply side. Any recommendations on what combination of fittings I can use to go from the 3/4" PEX to a reducing elbow to a male threaded adapter? Thanks.

-Sri

sriniwass

Reaction score
Steam shower supply line

I'm also prepping the shower for a future steam shower. Can I run PEX for the steam supply line? Or is the temperature too high for that purpose? If not, should I use a combination of brass nipple and copper pipe? What size is normally used for steam genrators? The pipe is just going to teminate in the basement for now until I have the funds for the steam generator. Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The shower installation guide recommends an elbow at the supply side.

Can you scan that part of the instructios and post?, or email and I can reconfigure it.

As I recall, I used drop ear 90's in the wall, with brass nipples through the tile. I don't remember what I did after that. I recall that it connected to the units flex supplies at that point.
But this was in 2012.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While you cannot use pex on the outlet of the steam generator, you MIGHT be able to use it on the inlet...Keep in mind that most pex is limited to below 200-degrees, and unless you live way up there in altitude, that's not going to happen below the safe temp for pex. Many heating devices seem to want the inlet hard piped at least some distance away before you can transition to plastic pipe.

The installation instructions should specify, and that is the determining thing, not an opinion, especially without knowing the unit you will be installing...it might be okay to feed it with pex, it might not. If you leave a long enough loop there, you can hook it up direct if it will allow, or loop it far enough away, then transition to (probably) copper, when you make the final decision.

sriniwass

Reaction score
Can you scan that part of the instructios and post?, or email and I can reconfigure it.

As I recall, I used drop ear 90's in the wall, with brass nipples through the tile. I don't remember what I did after that. I recall that it connected to the units flex supplies at that point.
But this was in 2012.

Terry,

I just received the panel with instructioins a couple of days ago. The diagram shows upturned elbows (the attached PDF is clearer than the image below). I suppose I can put a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer on it and perhaps a stop valve as well as long as the hoses don't get kinked. Please let me know the best configuration and materials to use for the incoming supply and through the walls. As I mentioned previously the opposite end will be tying in to 3/4" PEX. Thanks.
Scanned Document.jpg

Last edited:

sriniwass

Reaction score
Steam shower supply line

Jim,

After reading several installation manuals for steam showers, it seems that I have to install copper or brass lines. Unfortunately, the different manufacturers use different size pipes, either 1/2" or 3/4". So I'm not sure what to rough in with since this is for a future upgrade. Also thye have different requirements for the steam head installation with regard to the opening in the wall and the length of the nipple. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks