3" PVC DWV drain cleanout requirement question

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY1

Reaction score
I have a 2nd floor bathroom in a new addition that drains to a vertical 3" PVC drain pipe and runs down to my basement. At the basement ceiling level it goes from vertical to (1/4" drain pitch but I'll just call it horizontal) horizontal and needs to make a few twists and turns in order to get across the room over to my main stack where it ties in (total horizontal run is about 25 feet). As long as I'm maintaining my 1/4" pitch on the whole horizontal run and as long as I have a cleanout where the new pipe ties into the old, do I need to add another cleanout anywhere depending on the twists and turns? Near where it changes from vertical to horizontal I've got a 90 and 2 45's all within a few feet of each other, then across the room I've got 2 45's 3 or 4 feet apart, and then near the main stack I've got a 90 and a 45. Where is a cleanout required in my case and do cleanouts need to be oriented a certain way so that when you unscrew the cap it doesn't have water spill out?

DIY1

Reaction score
Turns out I didn't need a cleanout. I thought I read in the code that a cleanout was required at every 135 degrees of bend (or something relatively small like that). But I guess that's only the case (according to the plumber who came out and helped me finish up) for very very long horizontal runs. And that must be true because I didn't add a cleanout and I passed inspection.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; And that must be true because I didn't add a cleanout and I passed inspection.

You had a lenient inspector, who didn't go by the "letter of the law".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks