gallons used is not advancing on softener

Users who are viewing this thread

VegasHomes

Reaction score
My softener Fleck 2510 electronic timer stopped advancing at 554 gallons. I did a regeneration and now it wont advance past 950 gallons (normal regeneration amount) What is the likely cause and fix for this? Thanks.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you saying that it will not count down to Zero?

Either the meter is jammed as in not turning or the probe is not sending the signal to the computer board.

Which meter is in use? the 3/4 turbine or the paddle wheel?

To check the sensor at the meter end take a magnate and pass it close over the end and check for flashing water drop, flashing means the wire is good and that the meter is jammed and needs to be cleared.

VegasHomes

Reaction score
I am not sure if it is a 3/4 turbine or not. I will try with a magnet. It did go through a regeneration last night and then actually counted down from 950 to 943 but seems to be stuck there, the dot does not flash when water is running. How do I clear a jammed meter? Thanks

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Put in bypass, start a regeneration and then start to break down the system before and after the meter assembly and make sure that the turbine for the 3/4 if free wheeling by blowing through it.
For the paddle wheel part, dome comes off and make sure that there is nothing blocking the wheel in the housing, there could be some thing in the dome so flush out the dome and bang on palm of hand a few times to see if any thing comes out.
more times than not the turbine is the choice and the little wheel is jammed.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Thank you I will give this a try when I can.

Did you remove power from the controller ?

Sometimes removing power for a bit will reset the controller, when it gets into a hose mode.

Just a thought, if it is not a mechanical problem in the flow impeller.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it is the SXT timer, that will hold the clock for up to 36 hours with no power..

It does not take much to stop the 3/4" turbine wheel from turning, just one piece of resin can do it.

DonL

Reaction score
It does not take much to stop the 3/4" turbine wheel from turning, just one piece of resin can do it.

Very true.

Sometimes you can clear debris buy using very high flow, without taking it all apart.

It may just need to be replaced, if it don't work on lower flow, but works on high flow.

Not sure what min is on that setup. Will it detect a toilet flush ?

Have Fun.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The 2510 turbine is subject to wearing out. The impeller gets worn on the main internal shaft. This is not repairable and may need to be replaced. This typically lasts 5-15 years in a residential application. It is easy to replace, but it is very expensive.

This is one of the reasons I prefer the 7000, the meter is less than half the cost of the 2510 meter and it tends to last much longer.

DonL

Reaction score
The 2510 turbine is subject to wearing out. The impeller gets worn on the main internal shaft. This is not repairable and may need to be replaced. This typically lasts 5-15 years in a residential application. It is easy to replace, but it is very expensive.

If it does need replace, here is one for $69.00 at the bay.

http://www.****.com/itm/Fleck-SXT-t...r-5600-2510-9100-9000-5000-8500-/141042484452

Not a bad price, because other vendors want around $159.00

Have Fun.

DonL

Reaction score
Wow, best price ever for that. Definetly a good catch!

Not sure about the seller, but paypal will back you.

Only 3 left for sale.

I could use one for a backup, but mine is still working.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks