(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pressure switch replacement

No need to guess. I will share the details that I should have from the start. I have two lawn irrigation systems , a system for the front yard and one for the back yard. Each system has two zones covering half of the lawn. I can't run both zones in the front yard at the same time since the piping is separated for each zone. Same is true for the back yard. However I can run both systems (front and back) at the same time since the electrical wiring for the shut off valves for the front yard is different than the back yard. So what I have done in the past is: start time 7:00 am first zone front yard waters, 7:15 second zone front yard starts, 7:30 first zone back yard starts, 7:45 back yard second zone starts. This all happens twice a day. Now for my test. I ran the front first zone (half of yard) and pressure stayed at 58 psi. These are big sprinkler heads and man they throw the water! My friends don't call me Ronbo for nothing! I then decided to start the front and back system at the same time so now I have 8 sprinkler heads running, 4 front and 4 back. That's when the pressure dropped and stayed at 30lbs. The spray pattern when both front and back yard running at the same time is what most people would say as adequate but again my nickname is Ronbo. So their are more details. Would be interesting to calculate the energy saving if I ran the front and back yard at the same time. So you guys have been so good to me I will share a Ronbo story Sunday night. I would tell it now but I fear that all of you will say, as my neighbors said, YOUR CRAZY!

If you only have four of those .8 GPM heads running at the same time, and the pressure just hovers at 58 PSI, then I doubt you have enough pump to run the pressure switch up to 50/70. Also if the pressure is hovering at 58 while running the smallest zone, then I doubt cycling was the cause of the pressure switch melt down. Maybe you did just have a bad switch.

To run all your sprinklers at once operating at 30 PSI will nearly cut your electric bill in half compared to running half that many at 58 PSI. You get more water per KW of electricity when running at the lower pressure.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by valveman View Post
    Also if the pressure is hovering at 58 while running the smallest zone, then I doubt cycling was the cause of the pressure switch melt down.
    IMHO, 2 PSI is cutting it way too close. If the old pressure switch had 2 PSI of accuracy, it could well have caused cycling. I would not take a one-time reading to the bank and set-and-forget it. The pump curve can vary with the static water level.

Also, the trip point of a mechanical switch is supposed to be clean and swift, but in real life, it can take some of the contact force off briefly before it flips open.

Even if the pressure switch has 2 PSI of accuracy, add that to the meter error then the error becomes greater.

It will also depend how the differential is set.

If the pump does not cycle then it is close enough, and will work just fine.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Keep it Simple. . . Install a Cycle Stop Valve http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/index2.html. It'll extend the life of all your well/pump system. A Pside-kick http://constantpressurekits.com/products/pk1a. would be even better and it includes a new tank, pressure switch and all necessary components for your irrigation system. I'm not their salesperson but I love the valve.
    Porky Cutter, MGWC
    (Master Ground Water Consultant)

Quote Originally Posted by Porky View Post
    Keep it Simple. . . Install a Cycle Stop Valve http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/index2.html. It'll extend the life of all your well/pump system. A Pside-kick http://constantpressurekits.com/products/pk1a. would be even better and it includes a new tank, pressure switch and all necessary components for your irrigation system. I'm not their salesperson but I love the valve.

I agree that would be very nice.

But I do believe if it is not broken, then don't fix it until it is.

I was Old Schooled.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net