How effective are heat traps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Murphy625

Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion on installing heat traps on water heaters? Are they worth the extra effort and cost or just an over hyped extra thing that does very little?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would not install heat traps if you mean the nipples with floating balls. Those cause all kind of water hammer problems, and over pressure issues with the T&P.

Murphy625

Reaction score
Mine doesn't have those type.. I was going to install the 6 inch "U turn" looping type that is made from the piping connecting the hot and cold lines.

Murphy625

Reaction score
There would be no restriction with those. It does help prevent warmed water from drifting into the cold.

I'm sure it does! But what I was wondering is if it was worth the extra effort or is it just a fad that doesn't save any significant energy?

I mean, sure, technically the hotter water is going to go up into the cold water pipe but is it going to actually result in any measurable savings?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I think it would depend on how the plumbing is run as to whether or not there would be convection. In my case, the both the hot and cold turn down and go under the floor so there would be nothing to add.

I agree with Terry about those silly nipples. Mine keep screwing up and one of these days I will unsweat the pipes and rip them out.

Netmouse

Reaction score
I was told in a store that the hot water electric tanks now have plastic in the top connectors where the hot water pipe goes. He said this helps prevent this problem of warmed water drifting. The pipe should not be warm to the touch beyond a foot. Does that make sense? I have two plumbers that said they don't do the "U", as that is mainly for large systems, not a small home hot water tank.

Murphy625

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I decided to go ahead and use a stainless steel 24" corrugated flex connector to make the "U" turn.. (not the braided rubber type as I hear they're junk)

It's all hooked up and working great! I insulated the stainless connectors and wrapped them up tight..

The only thing I'm a bit disappointed with is the noise.. that darn power vent is LOUD!! You can hear it exhausting air outside and it makes a significant humming sound in the house..

Oh well.. it should save me about $30 a month on heating bills as opposed to the electric water heater.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks