Are domed shower enclosures "out of style"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Guy48065

Reaction score
When I moved to my current home almost 20 years ago I converted the 1st floor 1/2 bath/laundry to a full bath and installed a 36" domed shower enclosure. In all these years I have been very pleased with this enclosure--keeps heat & steam in, easy to clean, never leaks, no paint or tile needed, no cracked/peeling/mildewed ceiling paint. Well now I have a summer cottage and want to install the same thing there but nobody carries them anymore. Ultra-rare/special order. What happened to this great idea?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I have not seen one before but I have seen many full shower tub enclosures sold.

Have you tried calling the plumbing wholesalers in your town. Most have access to full product lines and often these types of units just take 1-4 weeks to ship to your town.

Guy48065

Reaction score
Oh I can definitely get one but what should be a $400 item is an $800 (probably more) special order.

I'll be shopping Craigslist for this now but was just wondering what the story was.

Reach4

Reaction score
ShowerDome_16.JPG

Searching, they seem to be popular in NZ and Australia.

Nice idea.

Guy48065

Reaction score
Noooooo....just a regular shower enclosure but the sides continue over the top. Ends up looking like a tub standing on end.

zaa70095

Wish I could take a picture of mine but I can't get far enough away from it to compose a decent shot.

The sci-fi looking one posted would do the job but you can't frame that into an alcove like the old type.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks