Leak under bathroom sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Super_19

Reaction score
Got a leak under the bathroom sink that upon inspection I could see water leaking from the PVC pipe joints. I removed the trap to check the washers in the joints. I replaced them with new ones purchased at Home Depot but the leak is still there and actually leaking more now.

Don't know if this matters but the drain tail pipe (Green) is 1 1/4" and the J-bend/Trap (White) is 1 1/2. Also, I noticed the drain tail pipe is not sitting straight, it's sort of at a slight angle. The leaking started about 2 weeks ago or so. You can see in the pictures where the water is accumulating.

What am I missing here? What can be causing this issue?

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. When you go from 1-1/4" drain pipe to 1-1/2" you need a 1-1/4"x1-1/2" slip joint washer.
2. It's advisable to have all vertical drains in plumb position. There are off set connectors that you can use if they don't align.
3. The leak can also originate at the drain set (top of the green - bottom of the sink).
4. Can't do it? get a plumber to help you. You'll save time, money, aggravation and cussing.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It looks like water is leaking from the tail piece coming out of the bottom of the sink. This could be because the nut compressing the gasket isn't tight enough, and sometimes, water can leak past the seal and along the fine threads. SOmetimes, it works out if you actually put some pipe dope on the threads of the nut that compresses the seal at the bottom of the sink stopper.

Super_19

Reaction score
1. When you go from 1-1/4" drain pipe to 1-1/2" you need a 1-1/4"x1-1/2" slip joint washer.
2. It's advisable to have all vertical drains in plumb position. There are off set connectors that you can use if they don't align.
3. The leak can also originate at the drain set (top of the green - bottom of the sink).
4. Can't do it? get a plumber to help you. You'll save time, money, aggravation and cussing.

1. This is the washer I purchased at Home Depot
2. Plumb position
3. Confirmed that there is no water leaking at this location
4. Don't want to give up...

Super_19

Reaction score
It looks like water is leaking from the tail piece coming out of the bottom of the sink. This could be because the nut compressing the gasket isn't tight enough, and sometimes, water can leak past the seal and along the fine threads. SOmetimes, it works out if you actually put some pipe dope on the threads of the nut that compresses the seal at the bottom of the sink stopper.

Took everything apart again and noticed that the top of the white pipe that connects to the bottom of the green pipe has a vertical crack on it. The crack runs from the threads down the pipe about an inch in length.

How could this crack have occurred? Like I mentioned in my original post, the leak started about 2 weeks ago. Started as a small leak and then got worst. Nothing had been messed with under the sink, I'm confused as to how this crack in the pipe "just appeared".

Anyhow, like I said, the crack is on the white pipe so I can understand if this is causing the leak at that joint (top joint). But what about the other joint (bottom joint)?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In the process of taking things apart, if there was a weak point from previous stress, that could crack it. As it leaks, gravity will allow it to run other places making it appear to be coming from somewhere it isn't.

litebrite

Reaction score
I had no idea that the gravity could make the leak look like it is coming from somewhere else! That is good information to know. I would always waste time trying to find the leak by following the water trail.

Super_19

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that replied and helped out.

I fixed the problem. I replaced the white extension down pipe (from green pipe to J bend) with a 1 1/2" piece I cut to size and the appropriate washers, 1/4x1/2, and that did it. No leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks