(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Need help installing vanity over shutoff valves

Default Need help installing vanity over shutoff valves

Thought I had everything planned out to change my bathroom vanity. I thought wrong. Keep in mind I'm a novice. I just noticed my shutoof valves under the bathroom sink run vertical up through the floor. What's the easiest way to remove old vanity and install a new one. There is no back on either vanity. I just need to find a way around the shutoff valves without cutting a large opening to fit over the handles. There is 1 screw on the valve handle. Can I take out this screw to remove the handle and slip the new vanity over it the pipes? The water will be shut off of course.

Name:  IMG_0701.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  21.2 KB

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

More than one way to resolve this. You can take the handle off, but the shaft of the stem will still be sticking out a fair ways.

You could take the valve off (after shutting the water off, of course), slid the old one off and set the new one over it. Or, you have enough sticking out where you could just cut the old one off and then install a new one on what's left after you have the new vanity in place.

Or, once you have the old one out, you could move the line either to the wall or at least back so it could come up through the back edge in a U-shaped hole, rather than a through hole in the middle.

I can't tell for sure, but is that valve threaded on? If so, it will just unscrew. There's what looks like a plastic ring...it may also be just a push-on connection.

Probably other ways, too, but you get the idea.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Remove the valves. They appear to be screwed on the pipes. Measure the locations and drill holes in the new vanity base. You don't have to be dead perfect, the chrome covers will cover if the holes are slightly oversize. While you are in the process, replace the valves with quarter turn models.

The valve goes into pex piping. The picture doesn't show it because the chrome cap is in the way, but there isn't a nut on the bottom of the valve.
    Last edited by 14kbiz; 09-26-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Still can't tell if it is crimped on or a push-fit. Still, I'd just cut them off and install new ones once you have it in the new one. With the pex, you can probably push them back towards the back edge and drill out a U-shape, then sandwich it between the wall and the back edge. If they're crimp on, you should be able to reuse them. If they're push-on, you may be able to as well, but you'd need to cut off the scored end (probably about an inch or so) so you have pristine pex to push it back on.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Too "slim" to be push on. There could be a crimp ring between the valve and the flange. You either have to remove the valve, and flange, or cut a large enough hole for them to slide through the floor.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

You are right on the money. That's the exact set up. I cut 1 1/2" holes in the vanity base to fit over the valves. Because it's pex, the lines are a little wobbly thru the larger holes but I can figure out something to give it a bit of support. The water lines don't have much play as far as length to the faucet connect so I don't need to pack much into the holes to support pex.
    Thanks for the help, everyone!!!
    Last edited by 14kbiz; 09-27-2013 at 06:22 PM.