plumbing vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Boilermaker27

Reaction score
I am working on a basement bathroom. Rough in plumbing is already there, as is a 1 1/2 pvc vent line coming through the floor overhead and ending in a stub. I cannot connect the vent line to the stub because the floor joists are running in the wrong direction and to do so would put the vent below the floor joists, thus forcing me to lower the ceiling. The distance between the stub and rough in is 4 floor joists, or 16"x4 or approximately 64". I don't want to drill holes in my floor joists, besides I would not be able to get a piece of pvc long enough to go through all the holes in the joists, the floor joists are the engineered type as the house is nine years old. I am thinking of running the 1 1/2 pvc line from the stub down between the joists to the other side of the steel beam, I would then need to drop down with an elbow approximately 4" to another elbow pointed toward the rough in. I would then do the same thing with the vent coming from the rough in, up above the bottom of the floow joist, elbowed toward the steel beam then dropping down the four inches to get to the same elevation at the stub pvc pipe, which would then put both facing elbows below the bottom of the floor joists. I would then simply connect the two elbows at the bottom of the drop. This will leave a low spot in the vent but as no water could get in there I don't see any problem. The vent stub runs up through the wall into the attic where it connects to a two inch vent line which then goes through the roof, the 1 1/2 vent line in the attic tees into the two inch vent line running through the roof and the 2" vent line runs straight down to the plumbing in the bathroom below it, so any water coming into the vent from the outside, from rain or whatever, would fall past the 1 1/2 tee and fall straight down into the bathroom and out those plumbing pipes. So, all the vent lines would be between and above the bottom of the floor joists, and the line connecting the two elbows would be enclosed in the soffit built around the "I" beam. So, is it alright to have that drop in the line, don't want a code violation, but there is really no other way.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
1 1/2 pvc vent line coming through the floor overhead...between the joists to the other side of the steel beam...drop down with an elbow approximately 4" to another elbow...

...same thing with the vent coming from the rough in, up...elbowed toward the steel beam then dropping down the four inches to get to the same elevation at the stub pvc pipe...

...both facing elbows below the bottom of the floor joists...connect the two elbows at the bottom of the drop...a low spot in the vent...
Even if rain from above did not fill that drop, condensation surely would since gravity always wins.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks