Toto Promenade + baseboard radiator... mismatch

Users who are viewing this thread

SeeBuyFly

Reaction score
Hi...in our remodel we will have baseboard hot water heat running along the side of the bathroom where the toilet is. The radiator has been ordered and received; the toilet (Promenade) has been ordered and received.

Our old toilet (pre-remodel) had lots of space at floor level for the baseboard radiator (width 2") to run behind it. Foolishly I assumed that all toilets would have that space. However, according to Toto (the box hasn't been opened yet) the Promenade has 1-3/16" behind the toilet at floor level. So there is a 13/16" space problem (need to fit 2" wide baseboard in 1-3/16" gap).

Redesigning the heating or getting a different toilet is possible in principle, but difficult and/or expensive. I am wondering if there are other solutions. 13/16" is not quite as bad as 2". Also we may recover a little space because the old tiles were set in concrete which is being removed and replaced with greenboard. That could bring it down to 1/2" mismatch, but 3/4" is a safer estimate.

So my question is, how can one get an extra 1/2" - 3/4" at floor level? Is there enough play in the closet bolts? (I believe it's a 4" cast iron drain since it's a 1920 house.) Is there an adapter to gain 3/4" rather than 2"? (That wouldn't cause as many flow problems as a 2" bend.) Can one wield a hammer to shift the cast iron sufficiently without cracking it?

If I should get a different toilet, what should I get? The Drake II has a little more space, 1-5/8", which may still not be enough. Plus we wanted the 'trad' styling of the Promenade.

All advice greatly appreciated. As you can tell, the work hasn't started yet. I am not an expert and cannot do this myself, we do have a contractor, but I caused the problem by choosing the heating layout and the toilet so I am eager to have some possible solutions in hand before I even mention it to him.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think the Promenade uses a Unifit adapter, if so, and you can live with it sticking 2" further out, get a 10" Unifit adapter (and you can throw the 12" one away that came with it, no credit for it!). If it doesn't, you may be able to fudge the mounting of the toilet to the flange enough. The outlet of the unifit adapter is 2-1/8", and the hole is either 3 or 4", so you can mount it off center, and it will still drop into the drain without issues.

SeeBuyFly

Reaction score
No, only skirted toilets can use the Unifit.

Regarding mounting it off center, here is where it shows that I have never done this and all my knowledge is theoretical. Will the bolt slots allow the toilet to be mounted 3/4" off center? If so there is no problem.

I realize you have not seen our drain (neither have I, yet). But what is typical?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It depends on the flange design. WHat Terry said in another thread is that sometimes, he installs a repair flange with the required offset so the toilet bolts are in the right place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks