Problem with auto-shutoff float...

Users who are viewing this thread

jkats

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm running into a minor problem with an install I did for a relative several months ago. The softener has a Fleck 7000sxt, 3.0 ft3 of resin, and an 18x33 brine tank. I used the following settings:

DF Gal
VT Df2b
CT Fd
C 72
H 23
RS sf
SF 10
DO 14
RT 2:00
BW 10
BD 60
B2 5
RR 5
BF 32

After a couple of months, my relative reported that the softener appeared to be "running out" of capacity way before it should, resulting in hard water before the next regen. Upon investigating, I discovered that during the brine fill cycle, it would stop filling about 3/4 of the way through the cycle, due to the auto-shutoff float. When I was installing this, it never occurred to me that this could be a problem, as I've seen very little discussion on this in the forums. However, I obviously need to shorten the float rod. So here are my questions:

1. How in the world do you shorten this thing?! The info I've found on the web shows that most floats are attached by two rubber washers at the top of the rod that can be adjusted. Mine isn't like that - mine is attached with a permanent pin. The bottom appears to be glued firmly into the float.

2. Is there a recommended height the float should be at, or is any height ok as long as it is lower than the drain hole?

3. If anyone cares to comment on my settings, I'd appreciate the feedback.

Thanks!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a Clack safety float.

Simply remove the pin, cut the rod shorter, drill a small hole on the shortened shaft, reinstall, good to go.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another problem that I see is that you have the unit set for a 72K capacity but only a brine refill of 32 min. You would either have to lesson the capacity or increase the fill time.

ditttohead

Reaction score
What is your brine refill flow control? It should be .125 GPM or .25 GPM.

If your BLFC is .25, then you are ok, if it is .125, then it should be set at 64.

Here is your basic calc below

3 cu ft at 8 pounds of salt per cu. ft. x 24,000 grains per cu. ft = 72,000 total capacity (C 72)
3 pounds of salt per gallon of water, 24 pounds needed = 8 gallons of water
8 gallons / .25 gallons per minute = 32 minutes. ouble the time if your BLFC is .125.

Looks like your programming is good, just fix your float height. How high is the bottom of the float off the bottom of the tank?

jkats

Reaction score
My BLFC is .25, so looks like I'm good there. The bottom of my float is about 13 or 14 inches off the bottom of the tank.

ditttohead

Reaction score
An 18" tank holds 1.1 gallons per inch. -3" for the lower air check, and X.5 for salt displacement (this is never accurate, just an industry guesstimate,

You have 10" of available space, so you can get approximately 5.5 gallons of water, you need 8. Raise your float much higher, be sure to keep the float height below the overflow hole height.

Hope this helps!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks