Propane Hose as Water Line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Murphy625

Reaction score
I have a supply of industrial propane hose that has a 1 inch ID and is rated at 350 PSI... This is the kind of stuff the propane trucks carry to fill up residential propane tanks. Its a thick rubber (epdm?) hose with a nylon braid for reinforcement.

If I were to bury this stuff 4 feet into the ground in Michigan, would the ground collapse it?? If I stand on the hose (275lbs), it does flatten out a little but doesn't completely collapse. I'm wondering if I MUST use the poly sprinkler pipe or if I could get away with this stuff.

I want to use it to run a water line out to a cattle watering bucket 200 feet away..

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I have a supply of industrial propane hose that has a 1 inch ID and is rated at 350 PSI... This is the kind of stuff the propane trucks carry to fill up residential propane tanks. Its a thick rubber (epdm?) hose with a nylon braid for reinforcement.

If I were to bury this stuff 4 feet into the ground in Michigan, would the ground collapse it?? If I stand on the hose (275lbs), it does flatten out a little but doesn't completely collapse. I'm wondering if I MUST use the poly sprinkler pipe or if I could get away with this stuff.

I want to use it to run a water line out to a cattle watering bucket 200 feet away..

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

It will work fine under pressure, but is not made for potable water.

But neither is most Garden hoses.

If it has been used then you should clean it out, or you should not use it for cattle.

Does your install need to be inspected ?

You really should use Rigid pipe, because it will flatten out some.

Have fun.

Last edited:

Murphy625

Reaction score
Ya.. I'm real worried about crushing. Thinking to just go with 1/2 inch poly pipe so I don't have to dig the 200 foot trench twice.
What a shame.. I have 2000 feet of the propane hose.

DonL

Reaction score
Ya.. I'm real worried about crushing. Thinking to just go with 1/2 inch poly pipe so I don't have to dig the 200 foot trench twice.
What a shame.. I have 2000 feet of the propane hose.

1/2 inch sounds kind of small for a 200 foot run. But for just filling a water trough would work fine.

It is a shame to have 2000 feet on hand. You could put a run of it along with your poly and do a real time test with it.

Hose like that does not come cheap when you go to buy it.

Have Fun.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
The NSF-rated poly is as about as inert a plumbing material as you'll ever find. On my dime, I'd never think of using anything else for a deep waterline I never want to see again.

DonL

Reaction score
The NSF-rated poly is as about as inert a plumbing material as you'll ever find. On my dime, I'd never think of using anything else for a deep waterline I never want to see again.

I understand.

I use schedule 40 PVC for in the ground stuff. It may be overkill, but never needs to be dug up again.

And Critters can not eat thru it, nor can it get crushed.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Warmer climes have different priorities, as I understand that critters can be more likely to chew through a poly pipe than a PVC pipe, if they try for water. Up north, a 4-foot burial gets you out of the critters' way.

Those all-season yard hydrants are often used with fittings meant for 3/4-inch poly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks