(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Propane Hose as Water Line?

  1. #1
    DIY Senior Member Murphy625's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    147

    Default Propane Hose as Water Line?

    I have a supply of industrial propane hose that has a 1 inch ID and is rated at 350 PSI... This is the kind of stuff the propane trucks carry to fill up residential propane tanks. Its a thick rubber (epdm?) hose with a nylon braid for reinforcement.

    If I were to bury this stuff 4 feet into the ground in Michigan, would the ground collapse it?? If I stand on the hose (275lbs), it does flatten out a little but doesn't completely collapse. I'm wondering if I MUST use the poly sprinkler pipe or if I could get away with this stuff.

    I want to use it to run a water line out to a cattle watering bucket 200 feet away..

    Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

  2. #2
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy625 View Post
    I have a supply of industrial propane hose that has a 1 inch ID and is rated at 350 PSI... This is the kind of stuff the propane trucks carry to fill up residential propane tanks. Its a thick rubber (epdm?) hose with a nylon braid for reinforcement.

    If I were to bury this stuff 4 feet into the ground in Michigan, would the ground collapse it?? If I stand on the hose (275lbs), it does flatten out a little but doesn't completely collapse. I'm wondering if I MUST use the poly sprinkler pipe or if I could get away with this stuff.

    I want to use it to run a water line out to a cattle watering bucket 200 feet away..

    Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

    It will work fine under pressure, but is not made for potable water.

    But neither is most Garden hoses.

    If it has been used then you should clean it out, or you should not use it for cattle.

    Does your install need to be inspected ?

    You really should use Rigid pipe, because it will flatten out some.


    Have fun.
    Last edited by DonL; 09-24-2013 at 11:12 AM.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  3. #3
    DIY Senior Member Murphy625's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Ya.. I'm real worried about crushing. Thinking to just go with 1/2 inch poly pipe so I don't have to dig the 200 foot trench twice.
    What a shame.. I have 2000 feet of the propane hose.

  4. #4
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy625 View Post
    Ya.. I'm real worried about crushing. Thinking to just go with 1/2 inch poly pipe so I don't have to dig the 200 foot trench twice.
    What a shame.. I have 2000 feet of the propane hose.

    1/2 inch sounds kind of small for a 200 foot run. But for just filling a water trough would work fine.

    It is a shame to have 2000 feet on hand. You could put a run of it along with your poly and do a real time test with it.

    Hose like that does not come cheap when you go to buy it.


    Have Fun.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  5. #5
    Sprinkler Guy Wet_Boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Metro NYC
    Posts
    798

    Default

    The NSF-rated poly is as about as inert a plumbing material as you'll ever find. On my dime, I'd never think of using anything else for a deep waterline I never want to see again.

  6. #6
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
    The NSF-rated poly is as about as inert a plumbing material as you'll ever find. On my dime, I'd never think of using anything else for a deep waterline I never want to see again.

    I understand.

    I use schedule 40 PVC for in the ground stuff. It may be overkill, but never needs to be dug up again.

    And Critters can not eat thru it, nor can it get crushed.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  7. #7
    Sprinkler Guy Wet_Boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Metro NYC
    Posts
    798

    Default

    Warmer climes have different priorities, as I understand that critters can be more likely to chew through a poly pipe than a PVC pipe, if they try for water. Up north, a 4-foot burial gets you out of the critters' way.

    Those all-season yard hydrants are often used with fittings meant for 3/4-inch poly.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2013, 02:36 PM
  2. Propane Gas line to Range
    By jlw3141 in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2013, 03:48 PM
  3. Buried Propane Line
    By Matt Helm in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-27-2012, 09:23 PM
  4. New Propane Line
    By inwolf in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-23-2005, 11:39 PM
  5. Adding Propane Line
    By Cusser in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-28-2005, 06:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •