Rocking Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Alice 456

Reaction score
Hi, I'm working with an individual who has a disability. As a result he tends to drop/fall onto the toilet and over time this has caused it to rock. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to reinforce the toilet so it won't rock over time...thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally you would install it with shims if needed. Then you would caulk the bowl to the floor, leaving a little out at the back in case the wax seal developed a leak.

Then you would pick up some grab bars and install them either on the walls, or as a stand for the toilet.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the toilet rocks, it's likely one of three things:
1. It never sat flat and needed shims
2. The floor is rotting, and not stable
3. The flange is broken (well, the toilet could be broken, too, but that's much more obvious)

In any case, it needs to be pulled to evaluate what the issue is, and if you're lucky, just reset with new wax ring (and probably some shims). If not, it may be time for a plumber to fix the flange, or a contractor to fix the floor.

As to safety bars, they are a good idea. Look at some of those from www.wingits.com. You'll have a higher probability of being able to anchor them to the wall solidly without tearing them up. For whatever reason, it seems most safety bars are not made in a length to anchor to two adjacent or multiple standard wall studs! So, at least one end would just be going through the wall covering. Well, the advantage of the WingIts fasteners is that they are ADA qualified anchors even when you only have the wall, and can't go into the stud. I've used them, and they are VERY secure when installed properly.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Loosing weight and stopping drinking helped me.

But I do miss driving the porcelain bus.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the floor is "flat and level" the toilet will NOT rock. Rocking means there are "high" points around its perimeter and you will have to shim the low points so they support the toilet at all points.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the floor is "flat and level" the toilet will NOT rock. Rocking means there are "high" points around its perimeter and you will have to shim the low points so they support the toilet at all points.

Well, if you have a quality toilet, this is true, but some come from the factory such that they will rock on a perfectly flat floor!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Well, if you have a quality toilet, this is true, but some come from the factory such that they will rock on a perfectly flat floor!

That is one reason to buy your toilet from Terry Love.

He only sells quality products.

I can buy a rocking chair at walmart or a big box store.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks