Delta Scald Guard - how do I remove cartridge & stop its leaking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Berliner5

Reaction score
This is a Delta Scald Guard thermostatic shower valve (from approx. 1980, I'd guess).

The temperature control and water volume work fine, but when the valve is turned off it has a slow drip.

How do I remove and the cartridge and repair or replace it to stop the leaking?

Thanks!

IMG_0819.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
You have the retaining nut off, the cartridge should just pull out. You may not need to replace the cartridge. There are two springs and two rubber seats behind the cartridge replacing them may solve your problem.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pull it out. I always replace the cartridge, springs, and washers, because the plastic bottom can develop a concave curvature. Why was the tile wall "damaged"? As a side note, it is thermostatic and may not be pressure balanced unless there is a balancing spool hiding in the shadows to the right of the cartridge.

index.php

Berliner5

Reaction score
Well, that sounds easy enough! I had actually turned the water back on, without the retaining nut, but fortunately (unless I find it's permanently stuck) the cartridge did not pop out, Tom Sawyer!

Just called Delta, who kindly offered to send the seats & springs kit, part number RP4993. They're sending it for free, even though the 'lifetime warranty policy' didn't kick in until 1985.

My backup plan will be to replace the entire cartridge, part number RP 1991, should that be necessary.

Thanks for the help!

delta-rp1991.jpg

rp4993.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks