cycling of pump

Users who are viewing this thread

rreith

Reaction score
I sure you nice folks can help. A couple of day ago I noticed that my well pump started cycling a lot, so I looked at the pressure-it would drop to about 40psi and kick on the pump. pressure would come up quickly-within a few seconds, then shut off at about 70psi then drop back down to about 40 within about a minute. I suspected a leak so I shut off the valve after the tank and still the drop in pressure. I have determined that I losing pressure on the pump side. doing some reading I have assumed it is some sort of check valve or sifter valve. im not sure where these are located to check them. I have a red jacket 1/2hp submersed pump. thank-you very much for the help.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If the pressure comes up within seconds, your tank is probably waterlogged. Do you have a bladder tank?

The pressure loss could be a bad checkvalve or a leak between the pump and the tank.

rreith

Reaction score
I do have a bladder type tank. I assume it has kind of an air bag inside it. it has a vale stem on top of the tank. can I or should I check for water in there? How do I check for leak in between pump and tank. my pump is out in the back yard and tank is in basement. thanks so much for your help!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Ok, then split the system at the pitless. Lift the pump so you can cap the line with a Tee that has a pressure gauge and a schrader valve. Pump air in and see if it holds. If it doesn't hold, the leak is between the pitless and the pump. If it doesn't leak suspect a leak between the pitless and the tank.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I do have a bladder type tank. I assume it has kind of an air bag inside it. it has a vale stem on top of the tank. can I or should I check for water in there? How do I check for leak in between pump and tank. my pump is out in the back yard and tank is in basement. thanks so much for your help!

You need to drain your tank to make sure the tank has the proper amount of air in it.

If your tank is waterlogged a leaking valve will seem to be a big problem, But you can live with a small leak short term if needed, If your tank has air in it. But the pump will cycle every now and then when no water is in use.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks