Scalding Hot Water

Users who are viewing this thread

John456

Reaction score
I recently moved to a new house which uses the oil burner to heat hot water (previously I had a gas water heater). The hot water is too hot. I've been told that I can utilize the mixing valve to control the temperature of the water (I've been able to find the valve). I 've also been told that the hot water temperature should be around 120 degrees in order to save fuel. Just wondering if what I've been told is true and what is the best way to test the water temperature. Thanks.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does the oil burner heat the water in a separate tank? If so, then it should have its own thermostat to control the water temp in that separate tank. If it is sort of a tankless system, then it needs a mixing (tempering) valve to restrict the output water to that temp desired that is safe. Adjust that valve, and you should be okay. If it does not respond, you may need a new valve. If a tank, and the thermostat does not work, then you'd need to replace that. My opinion...

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The best way to test the temperature of the HW is from a faucet, preferably the kitchen sink or utility sink faucet.
It sounds like there is an internal coil in the heating boiler to produce domestic HW, if you found the tempering valve try to adjust it. If it doesn't take an adjustment, instead of replacing the complete valve, just replace the guts to it, this way you do not need to touch the piping.
Average, (safe) HW temp is between 110F & 120F.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

An interesting footnote, is that an article in PMEngineering stated that a lot of public places, (91%), had water temperatures in excess of 115 degrees, which created a liability hazard. The next paragraph stated that 47% of them had temperatures below 124 degrees which would encourage Legionella growth, which has its own liability. I guess you can't win no matter what you do.

John456

Reaction score
Thank you for your comments. I did check the temp from the faucet and it registered 167 degrees. I was able to adjust the temp through the mixing valve and brought it down to 115 degrees. I now feel better knowing that there's less chance that my 3 year old will be scalded and I'm saving a little on fuel costs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks