(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Kinetico Quad 51 questions

Default Kinetico Quad 51 questions

I just got a Kinetico Quad 51 and I have a few questions:

1) Is it possible to place the fine mesh resin in all 4 units instead of using any carbon?
    2) Would that give me a larger reserve of soft water or does it not work that way?
    3) The unit is 7 years old, should I replace the gaskets since I have the head broken down?
    4) Do I need to add new grease to all the gaskets and what kind would I use?
    5) Can I use my existing generic brine tank or does the Kinetico require their own?

Thanks in advance!

Interesting, never thought to that. Are you keeping it on city water? What water test results do you have? Iron?
    Since this is an upflow unit, a pre-filter is required and must be maintained.
    There should no-to-very-little iron in the water.
    Yes, you could put resin in all tanks. Double the salt dosage (1--2lbs.) and a double the total hardness disc setting. Monitor hard by testing water and an adjustment may be needed.
    The gaskets should not be replaced. Use only silicon grease and never petroleum oils like Vasoline.
    Brine tanks need to be set for metered not timered electronic settings so you would need a Kinetico brine tank and float setting for 2lbs.
    Put on the right conditions and settings, I see no reason why it shouldn't work.
    It was an INSIDE JOB!!!!

Thanks for the help. It is city water so I will have a separate carbon filter before the kinetico. I'm not sure on the iron but the hardens averages 14 grains. The disk is a #3, is that good or do I need a different disk? It's a house of two adults and 4 kids 8-15 years old.

Actually, Keeping it as designed would be your best choice with a sediment pre-filter ahead of it. Otherwise, you would need to go to a disc #2.
    It was an INSIDE JOB!!!!