Toto C744EF.10-01 & ST743S-01 Tank Type B fill valve Question.

Users who are viewing this thread

doogdoog

Reaction score
Aloha,
I recently purchased a Toto C744EF.10-01 bowl with the ST743S-01 tank and was wondering if the fill valve should squeak when it shuts off. I originally purchased a C744E-01 bowl and ST743S-01 tank but I returned the bowl because it had something clanking inside of it. I decided to get the 10" rough in one instead and used the same tank (wife isn't pleased with the 1 1/2" height difference LOL). I am also have a problem seating the tank to bowl on the three high points on the bowl. I am left with about a 1/4" spaced evenly between tank and bowl so the tanks moves when flushed. Is there a slightly thinner tank to bowl gasket?

Mahalo,
doogdoog

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What's your water pressure? If it's overly high, that may be part of it. Without looking it up, Toto tends to use one of two fill valves, one is made by Korky for them, and the other (Vorato?). The Korky tends to be the quieter valve during shutoff.

If your tank is nice and vertical, you can continue to tighten the nuts to bring things into contact...check out the 'How to' instructions posted here. Basically, tighten maybe 1/2-1 turn, alternating from side to side. As long as you don't end up porcelain to porcelain, you should not be able to break it unless the tank is defective. Since I don't do it every day, I'll put a sheet of paper under each of the 'legs' and stop when I can still pull it out. This means you've only got a few thousandth's of gap, but do have a gap and there's no chance of trying to stretch the porcelain (which doesn't work!) and cracking something. You may find it easier after the gasket has been compressed - IOW, it may be easier to do it now after it's been sitting compressed for awhile, but it will snug down.

doogdoog

Reaction score
Aloha jadnashua,
The last time I checked the water pressure, it was about 65psi. but I will check it again. I'll try to tighten it a little at a time (maybe one day at a time) to allow the gasket to compress slowly and see what happens. I'll post a follow up after I am done.

Mahalo,
doogdoog

martyd

Reaction score
I have a new Drake with the type B fill valve and it also squeaks at shut off. Maybe it's a "feature".
Marty

doogdoog

Reaction score
Aloha martyd,
I hope squeak is not a "feature" of the valve, but if it is, I am going to change the valve to something else.

Mahalo,
doogdoog

doogdoog

Reaction score
Aloha jadnashua,
My tank is solid now but it is not sitting on the 3 knobs. I bought some transparent looking gizmos that you stick on the bottom of items that you don't want sitting directly on what you don't want it to sit on. It is round and about 1/2" in diam. and 1/4" high. I reseated the tank again and tightened it so it still had about 1/4" space between the tank and bowl. I slid the gizmo on the bottom of the tank while pushing it a little so I could slide in the filler between the three knobs. The tank is firm and even with a gentle push, it feels solid.

Mahalo,
doogdoog

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks