Removing cap on ice maker line

Users who are viewing this thread

habibrobert

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to remove a cap that is on the ice maker line. I am pretty sure it is not soldered on because I can turn the cap with my fingers. I am not sure if it is threaded, because it turns like it should have threads, but I don't see any threading and it never moves out of its place. I have tried pulling on it while turning it hoping it would help it get over some bad threads and start the move out of its place, but there is no luck. My next thought would be that it is a compression fitting like a sharbite, but I tried to use the little clips that removes the sharkbite fittings to remove this cap, and it did not work.

I am not sure exactly what to do. I thought of cutting before the end cap and just using a sharkbite fitting to install a ice maker valve, but as you can see from the photo, there is a metal bar hanging right above the line and i am afraid that the sharbite fittings are a little too big to fit under that bar.

If you look closely at the photo I provided, you can see two things:

1. an orangish piece of plastic that is behind the cap, it almost looks like a shark bite fitting, but it turns with the cap. And just beyond that orange piece of plastic you will see the actual pipe, which looks like it has a lip on it and does not look the middle of a copper pipe that is smooth and continuous. That makes me think that this cap is threaded on. I am not sure what to do.

Have you guys seen something like this before? If so, what can I do to remove the end cap?

Thanks very much.

Attachments

• image-4.jpg
    image-4.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 466

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
That is a shark bite fitting. On the back side of the fitting is a plastic ring that needs to be pushed towards the front of the fitting to release it. They make a tool for that but if you have an open end wrench that fits over the pipe but hits the ring that will work. Just be sure your water is turned off.

John

habibrobert

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for the response. I have the little plastic ring used to remove shark bite fittings. I tried to use it today, but I could not get to line itsself with the end cap so that I can remove it. If you look at the picture, there is a little ledge, or lip right before the exposed orangish plastic part, and it will not permit me to get the ring behind the cap. Do you guys see what I am talking about?

habibrobert

Reaction score
I have uploaded another photo showing a better view of what I am talking about. You can see the lip "for lack of a better word" that is right before the shark bite, I am not able to get the little shark bite remover piece in enough to remove the pipe.

Any ideas? Photo on 9-18-13 at 9.07 PM.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have to insert "something" maybe a knife blade, between the release ring and the "fitting". Then twist it while pulling the Sharkbite to try to depress it.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Sounds like the line is under pressure to me.

And the connector is doing its job.

Just turning off the water may not relieve the pressure. Depends on where you turn it off.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Sounds like the line is under pressure to me.

And the connector is doing its job.

Just turning off the water may not relieve the pressure. Depends on where you turn it off.

Good Luck.

Relieving the pressure will do nothing to help removing the fitting. The fitting is held on with stainless fingers that are only released by depressing the plastic ring.

John

DaveHo

Reaction score
Boy, that's a tough one. It's pushed right up against the fitting. No way to get the release tool in there. What kind of fitting is that? Can you cut the pipe on the other side of it & go from there? How about cutting off the Sharkbite cap with a Dremel or some other rotary tool?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Someone screwed you big time.

Those Sharkbites can be a bitch to get off when you have good access to them.

I would cut the pipe behind that fitting and then go to your adapter for the ice maker.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
habibrobert,

You are making an elephant out of a mouse. Just do what craigpump is suggesting and be done with it in no time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks