(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New guy with some questions about removing silt on a well system.

Chasmosis1, unless you plan to use the "basement" for something else after moving the equipment, instead of pouring the slab, why not use patio block under the tanks? They work very well. Or pour the slab after moving the equipment.

Mikey... a number of years ago some eastern states (NJ, PA etc.) started talking about meters on private wells and then when people heard of that and raised hell, they gave up on the idea. This is the first I've heard of a state actually doing it but then I've been out of the circle for some time. Maybe NM was first and where the stupid idea came from.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Underground aquifers are inherently a shared resource. While I dislike increased government interference, I also don't think it is right for heavy users to drain the aquifer unchecked.
    Lifespeed

I like the possibility that someone could pollute it even less
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Quote Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post
    Underground aquifers are inherently a shared resource. While I dislike increased government interference, I also don't think it is right for heavy users to drain the aquifer unchecked.
    IMO that "shared resource" depends on what type of geology and well we are talking about.

I guess I need a definition of heavy residential user. When someone (commercial entity) wants to use more than the normal residential volume of groundwater, I hear they have hearings to go to and permits have to be acquired. Many don't get the the permit. Plus I don't see how requiring private well owners to have a water meter would prevent them from using more water than the norm.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

I suppose that someone with a huge lawn like an estate or someone running a quasi-commercial enterprise in a residential zone. I mean, its possible but the logistics of charging someone for use of their own private well seems like more trouble than it would be worth. On the other hand, we have quite a few mobile home parks in this area that are on private wells and some have a couple of hundred homes in them so should the owner be charged for water use or just taxed up the wazoo. I know of one park in Belmont where the owner charges the tenents for water use. Private well, and each home has a water meter under it. The owner reads the meters and charges accordingly.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

And my understanding is that the commercial entity (mobile home park) was either grandfathered or had to go through a permitting process to be allowed to build the park. The park has to maintain the well(s) and distribution system and decided to specifically charge for water, I don't see a problem with that.

Also, I don't know of anywhere that a mobile home park well wouldn't be considered a commercial well rather than a private well. Or that the owner would not be under specific timely water quality testing requirements which most private residential wells are not. That is usually done under the EPA Small Water System regulations or a state/county reg governing mobile home parks. The same applies to campgrounds although I've never heard of one charging separately for water but there are those that do so for electric and have a meter on each site.

Its a pretty common thing up here although I do suspect that most were grandfathered.

Sorry about that I typed all of this up but must not have hit post.

To receive a well permit the State of New Mexico require all new wells to have meters on them. The owner is allowed so many acres of water depending on property size. I was lucky enough to be grandfathered in to a farm/ranch permit which allows me more water rights. I am supposed to report the reading monthly to the State Engineers Office, but have not done it up to this point. I don't know of anybody, other than me, that has even installed the meter, no less send in a reading. I only installed the meter on my 5yr? old well 6 months ago while doing some needed re-plumbing in the well house. About once a year I receive a threat letter. When I call them and tell them that the meter was never installed they politely tell me that it needs to be. I mention to them that the paperwork says that the install needs to be inspect, at which point they tell me not to worry about it, just to install it myself and send in the paperwork. I honestly don't know what they would do if you use more than you are allowed to. From what I can tell the state does not have the manpower or the money to enforce this. Just another law made up without any thought given to how to enforce it.

Gary, I honestly don't know what I'll do with the well house once I move the equipment. You do have a good idea though.

Doomsday bunker LOL

It's been a while since I have posted, however, I did decide to take the advise given here and I installed the equipment in an insulated closet in my shop that I built specifically for it. I ran an additional 70' of pipe out to the shop, installed a bypass, and ran it 70' back to the house. This, however, has created the new problem of the back washed water freezing, as it now goes out on the ground as grey water rather than being plumbed into the septic system, but I am working on correcting that problem. I now have the equipment installed and running, though I decided not to install the Rusco filter before the Fleck 7000sxt. So my current installation is: well head-meter-pressure tank-Fleck 7000sxt-Fleck 9100sxt-house. The Fleck 7000sxt it used as a backwash filter and is set to backwash every 5 days. The Fleck 9100sxt is used to condition the water. I have not had a water test performed yet and therefore I am just playing with the settings on it. Anybody have a suggestion on where I should get a water test? How about what exactly I should be testing for? I do know that I need to pull the sample before the filter/softener.

Thanks again to all of you for the help getting to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by chasmosis1 View Post
    Anybody have a suggestion on where I should get a water test? How about what exactly I should be testing for? I do know that I need to pull the sample before the filter/softener.
    People have spoken well of http://www.watercheck.com/

What to test for? First, what do you want to test? After your softener to check hardness? In that case, consider instead getting a softness measuring kit such as the Hach 5B would be good. Are you looking to test the filtered water to see if it is potable? Looking for pathogenic bacteria? Do you want to check the raw well water? That would be something you would do before adding those items previously.

How does your processed water seem to you before testing?

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

http://www.ntllabs.com/

Excellent company, we recommend them regularly and never have any complaints. Their website will guide you through the test parameters.